installing a switch for low volt landscape lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Guy 72

New User
Occupation
Tradesman
Hello

I have a low volt landscaping lighting transformer. It's a 120vac 150 watt multi tap (12v -15v) that is currently feeding led deck post cap lights. I would like to run 2 separate homeruns to 2 separate lights that would be illuminating newly installed horseshoe pits. My load calculations are good, and there is enough available wattage to allow the additional lights, I will be using 10 gauge landscape light wire to help with the voltage drop do to the length of the run, and if needed I can also tap the 13-15 volt terminals if needed.

My question is I would like to have these 2 lights for the horseshoe pits to be switched so they would only be on when we want to throw shoes at night, and not come on every night when the deck lights are on. Happy wife, happy life... lol... I would like to install a weather tight box / single pole switch at each horseshoe pit.

I am getting conflicting information about being able to switch low volt landscape lighting, so I thought I would ask the experts. Can I break the feed and install a 120vac standard wall switch in an outdoor weather tight box and switch these lights independently from the normal running schedule of the deck lights? I understand that you can not do this for dc power, but the load on this transformer is 12-15 volts ac.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide...
Mike

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.