Installing another conductor to supplement an existing Quadplex assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco Solar

Member, NABCEP Installer
Occupation
Solar Engineer (PE)
Hi Folks. Does the Code permit us to add (i.e. become part of the circuit) a messenger-supported conductor where we already have a messenger-supported quadplex assembly? (We need L1, L2, L3, and a fully rated Neutral, plus EGC, for a Solar Inverter output. The existing "3 wires + messenger" (which we'd like to utilize) do not provide this. The discussion on "why" this is needed can be seen in the recent post in the "Photovoltaic Forum.")

Since the question above is primarily a CODE question, I am posting it here. From my PV Forum Post: "300.3 (B) (2017) seems to go against this idea, (if the quadplex is considered a "cable") requiring that all conductors of the same circuit be "...contained within the same....cable...". The Inspector here is uncomfortable with us "adding" another conductor (parallel) to the existing quadplex "assembly" but does not have chapter and verse, and is open to us making the case.

Do you agree that 300.3 would govern this situation....essentially not permitting installation of the separate conductor as the required Neutral?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, 300.3(B) applies, but note that 300.3(B)(3) acts as an exception, and in my opinion permits the proposed installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.