Installing Blankets on energized power lines.

wholf09

New User
Occupation
EE
I would like to get your opinion on hanging protective insulated blankets on power lines. In NFPA 70E Artical 130.2 guideline,one of the definitions of energized work is working inside the limited approach boundary, which for 0 to 1000 voltes is 4 inches for qualified individuals. So let's say we need to insulate a 480v line to perform work on a line next to it, but to be able to install the blankets we have to break the limited approach boundary of 4 inches thus it is considered energized work( or is it???)? Now, Osha only allows one reason for working a line energized, which is if the risk of de energizing the line is greater than working the job hot. In my industry, this is almost never the case, but for a power company, it's almost impossible for them to know what the risk is of killing power so they will work it hot, we do not have that justification so we should de energize the line insulate it and then re energize the line while repairs/ the work takes place. Here is where my question comes in. OSHA also states employees must use different work practices during energized line work. Generally, employees use live-line tools (hot sticks) to perform work on energized equipment. These tools, by design, keep the energized part at a constant distance from the employee and, thus, maintain the appropriate minimum approach distance automatically." So, in this statement, OSHA is basically saying that the insulated tools are designed to keep the insulated parts at a constant distance. Thus, they maintain the minimum approach distance. I would like to get your thoughts on this topic: Is hanging blankets(guts) on energized lines something allowed/permitted, or should we de-energize the line?