Installing Musco Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Got an ITB for a rec park expansion..... 5 lighted fields.

The specs call for the EC to install and aim the Musco lighting package; I have no specs on the lights at all. I sent and RFI asking for this.

My question is about how much labor involved for aiming each head. I have zero experience with this. I have the equipment to set poles and to go up and aim them, but I’m unsure of how much labor to include for this.

I talked to a friend that has some experience and he couldn’t really offer much in the way of how much time it took them, he only told me they had to go out at night to do the aiming.

Ive read that Musco typically provides some level of help on this, but again I have nothing right now that says that will be the case here.

I may end up passing on this but any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have done a few Musco projects and typically they provide all the settings for each fixture then follow up with a night visit to physically check the levels across the field. We never had to make any adjustments.
They included the engineering and lighting level drawings as part of their package.

IOW's, they were good to work with as far as my experiences with them.

Roger

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
So, is there an indicator on the bracket, and you just match the settings to what is on the drawings? Would you say it’s any more difficult than typical site Lighting ? Maybe a few extra minutes per head ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So, is there an indicator on the bracket, and you just match the settings to what is on the drawings? Would you say it’s any more difficult than typical site Lighting ? Maybe a few extra minutes per head ?
Yes, the brackets and fixtures are marked and you just follow their drawing. It's probably a little bit more labor but not much.

Let me note that the last project I did with them (a university baseball field) was a few years ago and I would think it might be easier now.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I wasn't involved, but they recently redid a local ball field.

I remember seeing the lights setting in the parking lot, and I can't be sure (both due to my bad memory, and the fact I didn't look too close) but I thought it looked like they shipped the mounting arms completely assembled with the lights already attached and aimed.

Now I wish I had taken a couple of photos.

Edit: I suppose it may vary per project, but I also have a Musco quote that states it includes "pole length wiring harnesses and factory-aimed and assembled luminaries."

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Still no answer to my RFI on the Lighting package. There are zero details in the bid package on these. Looking like I’m going to pass on this one. I think I just landed a job that’s going to tie me down for a few months anyway.

hbendillo

Did they provide performance requirements? Like footcandle levels required for the field? If they gave you some basic requirements send it to a Musco rep and they could work something up for you including number of poles, lights and the wattages of the lights. etc.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I didn’t bid this job, but I bid another one today that was a smaller Musco Lighting package of only 12 poles and about 150 fixtures.

I looked up the Musco rep for my state on their website and called him. They were able to send me all of the drawings for the project, which was nice, because the engineer showed a detail of all direct burial poles, and the Musco specs were all pre-fab concrete bases. There were other details of pole installation that I wouldn’t have accounted for otherwise.

I didn’t get this one either though. Of the 4 EC’s that bid, three of us were all between $550k-$600k, and the low bid was $400k

Status
Not open for further replies.