Installing New Service in Coffee Shop

3:23 Electric

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had any tips or advice on installing a new service in a coffee shop. Currently the shop is located in a commercial building that shares power with other business within the building. They are wanting to separate from the others and have their own meter, and panel. So basically they are wanting to start from scratch. Currently I don't have a lot of information on the equipment they will be using inside the coffee shop as to name plate info etc. The plan is to install a 200 amp service.

I was wondering if anybody had done coffee shops before and wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share some advice or experiences.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
HVAC, ovens, dishwasher, water heater, brewers, espresso stuff...can take you over 200A @ 208/3 easily...lots of ckts, too. And don't forget those GFCIs. It's a commercial kitchen.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Will your POCO provide multiple services for customers within the same building? Do they require fire rated demising walls on the plans?

Buck Parrish

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had any tips or advice on installing a new service in a coffee shop. Currently the shop is located in a commercial building that shares power with other business within the building. They are wanting to separate from the others and have their own meter, and panel. So basically they are wanting to start from scratch. Currently I don't have a lot of information on the equipment they will be using inside the coffee shop as to name plate info etc. The plan is to install a 200 amp service.

I was wondering if anybody had done coffee shops before and wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share some advice or experiences.
Unless it is an obvious set up and your under six disconnects. If you have not already I would see if you can get a power company engineer to meet you at the area you plan to set a meter base and disconnect.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Without knowing the loads, that would be kinda tough. I quoted a drive thru coffee kiosk last year. They wanted to run it off the pylon sign circuit, problem was sign circuit was 20 amp in a 3/4” conduit that was questionable in its integrity to begin with. Finally got the owner to supply all the equipment loads, and it was going to be a 60 amp minimum service. Quoted it as a 200, since a new meter would be closer than the house panel. Long story shortened, they did an underground bore for the sewer and water, poco was going to bore the electric, but the city put a stop on the project once they figured out the traffic flow was going to be terrible, because the parking lot wasn’t big enough.