Installing security cameras and recording stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

A customer wants to install video cameras to watch his parking lot after hours. I think it would take 4-6 cameras. I have no experience in this type of job but I'm guessing it is not diffucult even with no prior experience. I assume each camera needs power to operate and a coax cable back to a recorder of some kind. Are there system kits that can be purchased that would make this a simple job?

GUNNING

yes
Siamese cable with rg59 and 2 - 18 awg power leads
OR
run cat 5e with adapters
power and DVR recorder are separate and can terminate at the same place.
They have them with options to only record when something passes by and can email you.
More cameras the more angles. The the HD cameras are very clear the cheaper ones are good for seeing general actions but no detail
like plate numbers
Get a big sign. I've had people back out of camera range when they see the sign at the house.
Stopped the kids from breaking into the van in the drive cold. 4 CAMERAS AND A DVR W/ WIRE COST $250. Labor was extra.:happyyes:
Goto You Tube, there are some great instructional videos.
Goto EBAY for direct sourcing. (china)

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I liked the systems I bought from securitycameradirect.com, did not like the Sam's club system (which cost more, and took very highly trained people to transfer pictures to flash drive).

iwire

Staff member
A customer wants to install video cameras to watch his parking lot after hours. I think it would take 4-6 cameras. I have no experience in this type of job but I'm guessing it is not diffucult even with no prior experience. I assume each camera needs power to operate and a coax cable back to a recorder of some kind. Are there system kits that can be purchased that would make this a simple job?

It can be as simple as you describe or more complicated then we can imagine.

The recorder will be a DVR and if you spend a bit on one they can watch the cameras from anywhere with an internet connection.

I notice you are from MA, MA requires a 'S' license to do security work. It is an easy licensee to get, it really is just a background check. You would also need background checks on employees.

http://www.securitylicense.org/

mkgrady

It can be as simple as you describe or more complicated then we can imagine.

The recorder will be a DVR and if you spend a bit on one they can watch the cameras from anywhere with an internet connection.

I notice you are from MA, MA requires a 'S' license to do security work. It is an easy licensee to get, it really is just a background check. You would also need background checks on employees.

http://www.securitylicense.org/

I have had the s license application for years. Now I have a reason to apply. Would the Internet connection just be a cat5 cable from dvr to their rouer?

iwire

Staff member
I have had the s license application for years. Now I have a reason to apply. Would the Internet connection just be a cat5 cable from dvr to their rouer?

When I have had to do it yes, just a data run between the DVR and a router / switch port.

I do not know how you set it up though. Our own shop is set up that way, if the DVR is good enough it can be set up to record only when it sees motion and it can send out notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.