Installing XP seal offs efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmid

Now that is nice product but only listed to be used with crouse hinds fitting.. ? UL and cUL Listed for use with ?"
to 2" Cooper Crouse-Hinds sealing
fittings only.

what is the cost of the material??

jcross

jbower said:
I went to Crouse-Hinds website and the SpeedSeal is good for Class I, Div. I Group C&D, and Class II Div. I Group E,F,G.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/CrouseHinds/newproducts/relatedinfo/Chico SpeedSeal Brochure 0403.pdf

Thanks for the info. I would have bet my truck that our local Crouse Hinds rep informed us, (although this was some time ago), that this product was only rated for Group D chemicals. We have some Group C areas along with some Div II Group B areas. May have to look into......Thanks again...

KentAT

Hi guys - 1st day at this forum. I work in natural gas compressor station - most areas are haz locs.

Used to use CHICO and CHICO fiber. Cheapest of the methods I've tried.

Then tried the Crouse-Hinds IntraPaks. Very happy with the pre-measured water and compound sides of the pouch - just break the water capsule, knead the package, attach the supplied flexible spout and squeeze 'er in. ONLY problem was that they only had a 1 yr. shelf life. Little more expensive to purchase, but cheaper in labor costs.

Learned of the Chico SpeedSeal cartrigdes. Used them once. SEE the Crouse-Hinds video here http://www.crouse-hinds.com/crousehinds/resources/VideoClip_Chico_Speedseal.cfm
Plusses:
(1) No fiber dam is needed for horizontal use. (2) Complete set time is 20 minutes. (3) Expands 4X original volume, so there's no need to separate individual conductors - the compound squeezes itself in between them. (4) Easier to use in below freezing temperatures, as the seal only needs to be kept warm (above 40 degF) for the 4-10 minutes of the expansion/gel time of the compound as opposed to the 8hr or 72-hr requirement of standard Chico (depending on group designation of the hazardous fluid). This was the only reason I used the SpeedSeal when I did.

Minuses: (1) VERY EXPENSIVE. (2) Due to expansion, the compound pushes outside the seal ends and into your conduit run if you overfill. Could pose problems later on during rewiring or repairs. (3) VERY EXPENSIVE

Now I'm back to Chico compound and Chico fiber for ocasional sealing, IntraPaks for heavy use periods like construction projects.

I just reviewed the Crouse-Hinds sealing catalog, and I see their TSC Epoxy compound. New to me. It allows the use of a "sealing hub" in a horizontal application by using the TSC epoxy for the seal compound (won't run and doesn't need a fiber dam).

I also see a NEW product called "Secondary Process Sealing Fittings" which are a patent pending design for preventing passage of process gases under pressure in conduit- standard rating is 40 psi, high-pressure rated ones are 500 psi. Interesting.

Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.