Instructions for new forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Is there someplace where I can get a better understanding of how to use the new forum?

more specifically I want to better understand how to post stuff.
When you're posting stuff what are all the buttons and how do you use them? Most of them are obvious (typical of Word or Excel), but some of them aren't clear to me as what they are.
Can you tag a specific member in your post?

Also what's the little "bar" thingy under the members name?

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Directly above the Original poster is a post Reply. The reply button at the bottom of the post is incorrectly linked to the quote symbol. That needs fixing as it just quotes the post

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
When are we going to have a separate forum for these board related questions? Here's another question that got put just anywhere. I reply to some of these and I never can find them again!

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not sure what the bar is, but I have four segments now. It seems they appear in pairs. According to the page source, it's called a "b-meter". I have no idea what makes it register.

Directly above the Original poster is a post Reply. The reply button at the bottom of the post is incorrectly linked to the quote symbol. That needs fixing as it just quotes the post
The reply button wit\in each post should be labeled "quote". In fact, the "reply" turns red while you're doing so.

You can simply reply in a thread by scrolling to the bottom of the page without any buttons.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not sure what the bar is, but I have four segments now. It seems they appear in pairs. According to the page source, it's called a "b-meter". I have no idea what makes it register.

The reply button wit\in each post should be labeled "quote". In fact, the "reply" turns red while you're doing so.

You can simply reply in a thread by scrolling to the bottom of the page without any buttons.

Yes that is correct. Reply should say Quote and should be separated by the quote symbol which is used to make multiple quotes

We try and report the issue in the mod area for the webmaster. He goes to a particular thread and sees what is needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I just used the reply button at the bottom of your post and it qouted you and I was able to write this reply and post it

That's correct. But the multi quote is tied to it. Reply should say Quote, IMO, not Reply and it needs to be separated from the multiquote icon. That was how it used to be

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I see SIX segments now colored bright red. . . I dunno, maybe it is a fuse, or a pressure indicator, . . . I half expect to log in at some time in the near future to learn of the explosion of your profile !

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
“B-meter” just means bar meter. But that bar meter in vbulletin is a “reputation” meter. I don’t know what that is tied to however. In some forums it is tied to”Likes” received but also triggered to the number of posts in that if you have under xxxx number of posts (typically 1,000) then your meter is inactive. Given that there are lots of members with well over 1,000 posts, but we did not have a “Like” button before now, it’s hard to say what the segments might mean though. Total Likes? Likes this week, month, year? No idea.

but one way or the other, people apparently like LarryFine a lot...
:hug:

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
“B-meter” just means bar meter. But that bar meter in vbulletin is a “reputation” meter. I don’t know what that is tied to however. In some forums it is tied to”Likes” received but also triggered to the number of posts in that if you have under xxxx number of posts (typically 1,000) then your meter is inactive. Given that there are lots of members with well over 1,000 posts, but we did not have a “Like” button before now, it’s hard to say what the segments might mean though. Total Likes? Likes this week, month, year? No idea.

but one way or the other, people apparently like LarryFine a lot...
:hug:

Larry is THE man!!

m sleem

IMHO, the previous one was more comfortable in terms of view, but this one is more suitable for the new generation :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMHO, the previous one was more comfortable in terms of view, but this one is more suitable for the new generation :D

The view always takes some getting used to. The same was true in the last upgrade. We all hated the view but got used to it. I am sure that is the same issue here

Status
Not open for further replies.