Insulated mechanical multi taps in a service disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibron

My client is a commercial landlord for whom I made modifications and additions to his aging service equipment.
The installation was approved by the AHJ about 4 years ago.
An EE representing a potential new tenant states that my use of insulated mechanical taps in the bottom of an old 400A 250V service disconnect switch violates their UL listing because their intended use is for wireways or junction boxes. While not the most graceful of installations, there was a space and budget constraint and I believe using the tap blocks was and is safe and legal with the only possible limiting factor being the cross sectional area clause in the NEC as it pertains to splices, taps or conductors in service equipment or disconnect switches.
The taps in question were the Burndy BIT or BISR family.
I'm not really finding a UL description that directly pertains to this situation.
Any opinions?
Thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My client is a commercial landlord for whom I made modifications and additions to his aging service equipment.
The installation was approved by the AHJ about 4 years ago.
An EE representing a potential new tenant states that my use of insulated mechanical taps in the bottom of an old 400A 250V service disconnect switch violates their UL listing because their intended use is for wireways or junction boxes. While not the most graceful of installations, there was a space and budget constraint and I believe using the tap blocks was and is safe and legal with the only possible limiting factor being the cross sectional area clause in the NEC as it pertains to splices, taps or conductors in service equipment or disconnect switches.
The taps in question were the Burndy BIT or BISR family.
I'm not really finding a UL description that directly pertains to this situation.
Any opinions?
Thanks.

Is there anything in the UL listing or instructions for the product that restricts them to use in a raceway or a j-box?

Status
Not open for further replies.