Insulated Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever see an insulated wire with the copper wire separated between point a and b inside the insulation?

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As if the production process reached the end of a spool of bare wire and the weld of the next piece failed at some point during the insulation coating, for example.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Anyone ever see an insulated wire with the copper wire separated between point a and b inside the insulation?
A while back --- 6/3 wg feeding subpanel --- little chunk missing out of the white --- after confusing myself with digital meter, followed cable thru attic until I finally found a bulge or deformity --- I remember at the time wishing it hadn't happened:(

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sorry, I meant with the wire separated between point A and point B within the insulation?
Do you mean,

1. Separated along the length of the wire, as some of the others have mentioned, so that a continuity test would show infinite resistance between one end of the wire and the other, or
  2. Separated along the cross section, such as a stranded conductor that has some of the strands separated from the other strands, so that there is insulation material between the strands, but so that a continuity test would show normal continuity between one end of the wire and the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.