Insulation Piercing Tap Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I'm old. I'm a retired, old electrican. Even if I was a young, unretired electrician, I don't think I'd ever trust those pierce type splices for the heavy loads they might carry. I guess I retired at the right time... old dogs - new tricks don't go together.:smile:

kbsparky

... I don't think I'd ever trust those pierce type splices for the heavy loads they might carry.....

Research on these show that due to the large surface area afforded by those "jaws" the taps actually run cooler than the conductors!

Much better than the old split-bolt connectors, and you can install `em while hot, too! ;)

e57

As for the OP - I am unsure of the legalities of work in NYC. But I do use them often, and have had little problems with them. There is however one type I may re-think of using if I were installing in the cold - of say NYC in the winter. The ones with the torque off nut, MIGHT torque off early. I am unsure of how this type would react in extreme cold when being installed. Otherwise they create a good air tight connection with silicon grease coating over where it bites through the insulation, usually with 4 sets of jaws.... And on bare conductor they have a silicone boot to surround the conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Much better than the old split-bolt connectors, and you can install `em while hot, too! ;)
While I understand that the product is designed for a "hot" install, you are still working on energized parts and arc flash PPE would be required based on the incident energy.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I used to use them for temporaries. Pretty quick and safe(er) way to do a hot tap. I've used them for hot taps in gutters before too, rather than schedule a shutdown.

I've never removed one, but I suspect that 33 is probably what I'd use if it was a run tap.

Just out of curiosity if you have never removed one that you have installed, just how long do you consider "temporary"?:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.