interesting residential issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wptski

Click here for the official Square D spec sheet

square_d_wiggly_voltage_tester_949500.jpg

Although I prefer to use Ideal's Vol-Con tester. Wiggy on steroids!!

41gzJYobhhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Ideal doesn't list the input impedance for that particular tester. Some of their other testers just states "low". One of them states in their product descripton: Low impedance to eliminate ghost voltages but the listed impedance is 1M. I have a few current clamp meters that also have a 1M input impedance and that isn't low enough to eliminate ghost voltages.

PetrosA

Note on solenoid testers - if you work in a plant or anywhere where OSHA comes into play, you may want to make sure the tester has a CAT rating as many don't. The other option is a multimeter with a "low Z" function.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks, I've been closed up in a plant too long ...
I would say so.;);)
The 'original' Wiggy is no longer manufactured. Square D dropped it back in 2007 due to manufacturing costs. The earliest spec sheet I have on a Wiggy is dated 1962, and it replaced the one dated 1958. So Square D sold them for at least 50 years. I do not know when Square D acquired it, but the Wiggy was named after its inventor, a Mr. Wigginton sometime around 1917 . When the line was discontinued, it was not CAT3 rated.

dhalleron

Occupation
Master Electrician/Senior Fire Alarm Technician
Larry
When you say a solenoid type tester, are you talking about an analog meter?
Also, what is a "wiggy"?

I don't think anyone else pointed this out. When using a solenoid meter, you can feel the solenoid turn on and hear a click. You don't always have to keep an eye on the meter to know there is voltage.

You also get used to the feel of the correct voltage and can usually feel if it is low. It will feel different across a light switch in the off position, since the meter is then in series with the light bulb. It won't kick as hard. Your digital or regular analog meter might show 120 volts and lead you to believe that closing the switch will cause a short.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A 'wiggy' traditionally means a solenoid style meter.
While all true solenoid testers are analog, not all analogs are solenoids.
Agreed, and didn't mean to imply otherwise. A typical analog meter is a moving-coil swinging needle type:

simpson260.jpg

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Agreed, and didn't mean to imply otherwise. A typical analog meter is a moving-coil swinging needle type:

simpson260.jpg

That picture of the Simpson looks like the one I use at work. I use it mostly for checking open or broken conductors in cables. Well I guess I use it more than I thought, use it for continuity checks too. Thanks for the info(s) on the "Wiggy." I'll look into one.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.