Interesting Things I Found Recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
speaking of mistakes...

I am acquainted with a very experienced panel/machine wirer who managed to mis-wire a couple of drives. The drives were damaged to the point of having to be replaced (not fixable) and two of the three phase fuses blew on each drive. Nice black char on the drive control boards where he landed the incoming 480V.

I closely inspected his re-work before power was applied. :smile:

People make mistakes. it does not mean they are not competent.

bstoin

In my case the person was absolutely not competent. I had gone to an office complaining of problems, etc. Upon questioning the owner, he stated that he had used an "electrician," or in this case...a friend of his who does low voltage landscaping lighting and nothing more to install some branch circuits from a 3 phase 120/240 (hi-leg) panel...the rest is history.
I never fret about "mistakes." We all make them. I once ruined a 52" plasma TV, among other things from a mistake I had made. I also don't worry too much if my helpers or subordinates are a little slow. I am sure my superiors had some gripes about me when I was a rookie. My point is that there are a lot of pretenders out there and a lot of people who belong behind a desk or at some other task, etc.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
ashtrak said:
I always wondered what they carried the electricity away with, when they steal it.

I dunno, but having been in houses where electricity theft had occurred, I often wonder why they aren't breaking into nicer houses :)

shockare said:
Looks like the work i see here in PA.

I just recently move from New York City to PA, Being a former Union man, We went by the book. Here In Pa Its what ever flys by the "local Town inspecter"

It shocked the hell out of me. To learn that no license is needed to call your self an Electrician. Just hang a sign out front get a van and go to work.

Scary, ain't it? I moved here 35 years ago and was fortunate enough to get to work for an outfit that gave me a code book, a screwdriver, knife, pliers and strippers when I started.

I was fortunate that the guys I worked with knew what they were doing and that I like to read, so that I was partly trained, partly self-taught.

Most places near Philadelphia have some kind of licensing, but the things one finds that others have done are frightening. It is bad enough that guys are incompetent and untrained, but it is often apparent that they just couldn't care less. It isn't just non-union mechanics and jacklegs, either. I was a foreman in the Union for a few years, and the guys were just as likely to say "you can't see it from my house" as not.

It comes down to personal integrity, honor and responsibility, and they don't get issued with a union card or a trade license.

steveng

robertwilber said:
Scary, ain't it? I moved here 35 years ago and was fortunate enough to get to work for an outfit that gave me a code book, a screwdriver, knife, pliers and strippers when I started.

I was fortunate that the guys I worked with knew what they were doing and that I like to read, so that I was partly trained, partly self-taught.

Most places near Philadelphia have some kind of licensing, but the things one finds that others have done are frightening. It is bad enough that guys are incompetent and untrained, but it is often apparent that they just couldn't care less. It isn't just non-union mechanics and jacklegs, either. I was a foreman in the Union for a few years, and the guys were just as likely to say "you can't see it from my house" as not.

It comes down to personal integrity, honor and responsibility, and they don't get issued with a union card or a trade license.

well, said, robert

i was working today and found a little bit of hurry up and fix it wrong..... someone wired a branch circuit for outdoor receptalces using only a equipment ground wire in the base of a light pole for a neutral and the ungrounded conductor was a control circuit supply to the lighting contactors for the pole lights at the tennis court.. no ground fault protection....the receptacle circuit conduit was strapped to a chain fence.. no ground wire

but, one thing felt good, that was rewirng it RIGHT!:grin:

shockare

Had Enough..Job change

Had Enough..Job change

I have had it with seeing shoddy work. This past weekend I met with the new local Inspector. We got to talking. Later that night i did some research.

After a long hard day. I am throwing down my tools for a clipboard and pen.
I am now on my way to become an Inspector. Sent in my an app. to take the test. Now just waiting on a background check & test date.

Look out Northeast PA. there is a new Inspector coming to Town with a stack of red Stickers with your name on it!

robertwilber said:

My opinion:
I served my apprenticeship in Lancaster County, Pa in the '60s, I guess things have not changed much since then.

The contractor I worked for only used a code book for state jobs, where he might get inspected by a trained and skilled inspector.

I remember the first job I "ran". The inspector came in walked to the new panel (in a warehouse) shook several emt box connectors to see if they were tight and stated I know xxxx companys work so I know your work will be good.
He then shook my hand put an inspection sticker on the panel and left. Remember he had never seen my work before. To top it off I was still an apprentice with less than the mandated hours put in. I had several apprentices with less time working for me.

I finished my apprenticeship and moved along, since the boss was not the type of person who would take any criticism or advice from his "workers"

I am against over regulating things, but Pa should get it together and set up state testing and licensing for electricians along with good licensing for inspectors.

Some structure to the system would be a real asset to the electrical field in Pa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.