Interpreting 2017 garage receptacle circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
210.11(c)(4)

I went to walk through a new home that has recently been wired. Sheetrock isn't installed yet. It's in KCMO which is on 2017 NEC. It's the builders personal house.

The electrician wired 7 receptacles, and they are all on a 15 amp circuit shared with the garage lighting

I told the builder he has to have all those receptacles rewired onto a 20 amp circuit. After I left, I looked up the code again and I'm not so sure.

It says a 20 amp circuit is required for garage receptacles. But it does not say "all" garage receptacles have to be on 20 amp circuit(s). It does not say his 15 amp circuit is not allowed.

I'm thinking this very poorly worded section allows for his 15 amp circuit to remain, so long as he might add one 20 amp circuit and at least two receptacles on it.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210403_095224.jpg
    20210403_095224.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 19

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The intent was never to require all of the garage receptacles to be on that required 20 amp circuit, but that is what the language says in the 2017 code.

They fixed this issue in the 2020 code and the language now reads
(4) Garage Branch Circuits.
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to supply receptacle outlets required by 210.52(G)(1) for attached garages and in detached garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other outlets.
This change, based on the substantiations and panel statements, is what was originally intended, but was not reflected in the 2017 code.
The change permits any number of additional receptacle branch circuits of any ampere rating to be installed, after you have complied with the 20 amp branch circuit to supply the receptacle outlets required in each garage bay by 210.52(G)(1).

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The intent was never to require all of the garage receptacles to be on that required 20 amp circuit, but that is what the language says in the 2017 code.

They fixed this issue in the 2020 code and the language now reads

This change, based on the substantiations and panel statements, is what was originally intended, but was not reflected in the 2017 code.
The change permits any number of additional receptacle branch circuits of any ampere rating to be installed, after you have complied with the 20 amp branch circuit to supply the receptacle outlets required in each garage bay by 210.52(G)(1).
Well, that's how I was reading it, that any number of additional receptacles could be installed on any other circuit, after the first requirement was met.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one seeing that as a possibility. Thanks, Don

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
But why would one put a 15amp circuit in the garage?

I put the lighting on a 15 amp and outlet (all) on one or two 20 amp circuit. I always think about a car battery charger.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

James L

Occupation
Electrician

I put the lighting on a 15 amp and outlet (all) on one or two 20 amp circuit. I always think about a car battery charger.

It's just the way we wired garages since forever ago.
I used to put the entire garage on a 15 amp circuit, and maybe add mudroom/laundry lighting if it was handy.

But with car charging, yeah 20 amp is a good idea for the receptacles

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Unless they don’t drive a whole lot, a 20 amp would probably be a mute point. They would probably have a 40 or 50 installed later if they have a EV.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Unless they don’t drive a whole lot, a 20 amp would probably be a mute point. They would probably have a 40 or 50 installed later if they have a EV.
Last EV charger circuit I installed was 50 amps.

They guy said prolly no rush since he had the "standard" 20 amp charging cord.

I looked it up in the specs, I think it was 68 hours to charge.

Then he wanted it same day 😅😅

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Last EV charger circuit I installed was 50 amps.

They guy said prolly no rush since he had the "standard" 20 amp charging cord.

I looked it up in the specs, I think it was 68 hours to charge.

Then he wanted it same day 😅😅
I had to pull a separate permit for the EV charger on the boss’s daughters house, it was nearly as much as the permit for the whole house electrical! City of Atlanta likes to stick it to the wealthy! LOL!

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I had to pull a separate permit for the EV charger on the boss’s daughters house, it was nearly as much as the permit for the whole house electrical! City of Atlanta likes to stick it to the wealthy! LOL!
In our area, inspectors look at us like we're stupid if they come look at only one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.