Intrinsically Safe Circuit in same raceway as 24VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMattsFault

Occupation
Electrician
Hey all,

A recent install was done where we were not given correct information on a classified area. Turns out it is not Class II Div II, but actually Class II Div I. I now have to change a raceway to intrinsically safe (not difficult in itself). The problem arises with a solenoid installed in the same conduit. It is 24VDC and rated for the area, but we do not have a barrier that can work with an output, just inputs.

In the code book, 504.30 Exception 3 says they can be mixed assuming it follows 504.30(B), but 504.30(B) specifically talks about mixing different intrinsically safe circuits. Am I to assume that because the exception specifically calls out mixing intrinsically safe with nonincendive wiring, that 504.30(B) applies to it? We installed 14awg XHHW wiring which meets 504.30(B)(2) insulation thickness.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why would you need to change the raceway?

If the solenoid wiring is not an IS circuit I don't think you can mix it in the same raceway.

However, there are plenty of solenoid listed for use with IS barriers. It might be most cost effective to just change out the solenoid valve rather than run another raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.