Inverter Circuits

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is it code to have lighting circuits fed from inverter in different conduits that lights feed from normal lighting panels ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe that the inverter output circuits are considered emergency circuits which would require separation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"emergency circuits" is somewhat a relative term. Art 700 addresses true "emergency" circuits but the term is often used for Art 701 Legally Required and Art 702 Optional Standby and the mixing of circuits is handled differently within those Articles. You need to determine what class of system you are working with, true "emergency" or Art 701, 702.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
"emergency circuits" is somewhat a relative term. Art 700 addresses true "emergency" circuits but the term is often used for Art 701 Legally Required and Art 702 Optional Standby and the mixing of circuits is handled differently within those Articles. You need to determine what class of system you are working with, true "emergency" or Art 701, 702.
So theres true emergency , legally required and optional standby?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So theres true emergency , legally required and optional standby?
The NYC code amendments removed legally required standby. Someone told me that there has been an update to this but I'm not sure if that's true.

ARTICLE 701
Legally Required Standby Systems
ARTICLE 701
Legally Required Standby Systems. Delete the article in its entirety and add a FPN to read as follows:
FPN: All legally required standby systems are classified as emergency systems.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No but you're inverter is likely not providing optional standby.
No it's providing constant power to EM fixtures or I'm wondering if it's just back up. I don;t think so based on floor plan circuit/panel desgination.

The inverter does have a separate cabinet with batteries but I think that in case of power loss.

1704814732524.png 1704814673827.png

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I thought that was answered. It depends on the classification of the circuit (area) as to it being a true "emergency" circuit or otherwise.
Yea, guess your right. Need to determine that. Article 700 will clarify what "true" emergency is considered?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Barring any NYC changes noted in Post#8:

Emergency Systems. Those systems legally required and classed as emergency by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Barring any NYC changes noted in Post#8:

Emergency Systems. Those systems legally required and classed as emergency by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction
To me that vague. How do I determine that ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer/architect should have already done so,.
The fact that the circuit is labeled "EM" would lead me to believe it was emergency but infinity is well versed in these matters,.. see what he says,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There needs to be EM egress lighting it's highly likely that is what is depicted on the drawing which makes it EM.