Inverter output to separate services in the same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykee

Code related question: Is it permitted to have separate inverter output conductors in the same conduit that will eventually go to separate services?

The scenario is that a solar carport will provide power to two different utility services, the main conduit run between the carport and the interconnection location(s) is going to be bored. The conductors would once again be separated between two conduits to complete the interconnection. Is there anywhere this is referenced in the NEC?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't believe the NEC prohibits that, but see 225.30. I believe you can qualify under 225.30(A)(5) or 225.30(D) or possibly (E).

I do work in one city where they have a local amendment that prohibits conductors connected to different meters from being in the same conduit, and that would apply to this situation. But that is a local requirement.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I had one project where the owner owned two adjacent parcels with sperate services and we had PV output that crossed between the two. The NEC does not talk about it but the utility and the local AHJ had issues with mixing the electrical up between the two parcels. It was finally worked out by the owner but it was a trial by fire.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I had one project where the owner owned two adjacent parcels with sperate services and we had PV output that crossed between the two. The NEC does not talk about it but the utility and the local AHJ had issues with mixing the electrical up between the two parcels. It was finally worked out by the owner but it was a trial by fire.

I'm not surprised that you had to jump through some hoops. What happens if/when the two parcels don't have the same owner?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Was a legal easement required? I had a situation like that, but the project didn't go forward, for that and other reasons.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I'm not surprised that you had to jump through some hoops. What happens if/when the two parcels don't have the same owner?

That was the question of the day and you nailed it. This was a high net worth owner who had two parcels next to each other. One had his mansion and the other a pool house (that was larger than any house I lived in), pool, and putting course. In the end, money talked and he got what he wanted. It probably helped that this was not the first time he had done something like this. He had a backup generator on one parcel that backed up the services on both parcels. I used the same trench to run the PV system conductors across the parcels.

Status
Not open for further replies.