Invoicing advice for Texas contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I am a one man start up in Texas, In my state the comptroller recommends 2 types of invoicing for contractors. Time & Material and Lump sum. With lump sum I would not have to collect sales tax and report it to the state and seems like the easiest thing to do. But I don’t see how that would work with service calls. Do you guys exclusively use one form of invoicing over the other or do you use both depending on the situation?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I use online QuickBooks Pro exclusively with add on Intuit Payment Solutions. I have created my own "Flat Rate" and "Product" book. When inflation creeps up, I go in and raise prices across the board as needed.

QuickBooks Pro costs $30.00 and Intuit Payment Solutions cost $19.95 monthly.

I use online QuickBooks Pro exclusively with add on Intuit Payment Solutions. I have created my own "Flat Rate" and "Product" book. When inflation creeps up, I go in and raise prices across the board as needed.

QuickBooks Pro costs $30.00 and Intuit Payment Solutions cost $19.95 monthly.
Is flat rate a form of lump sum?

mtnelect

Occupation
Is flat rate a form of lump sum?

Yes ... Each "Flat Rate" item includes total cost for a specific job function. Like " Dedicated Circuit 20 amp - NM 100 feet" or "Dedicated Circuit 20 amp - MC 200 feet". You build your invoice with these "Flat Rate" items. Flat rate amounts are calculated from historical completion times & material cost.

All designed to give you a healthy profit margin !

fishin' electrician

So you make up an invoice at T & M and it comes to 1000. Add 6% (for arguments sake) tax so the bill is 1060. But you can magically not pay that tax if you just send the invoice as a lump sum of 1060 due?

:unsure:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
So you make up an invoice at T & M and it comes to 1000. Add 6% (for arguments sake) tax so the bill is 1060. But you can magically not pay that tax if you just send the invoice as a lump sum of 1060 due?

:unsure:
No, but you could write all those numbers on scratch paper, then make the invoice with only the lump sum.

mtnelect

Occupation
In California ... Since I do service calls in addition to contracts, I have a State Sales Tax Certificate with the State of California. I file my state sales taxes quarterly.
When I go to my wholesale house to pick up material for service calls, I don't pay sales tax. The State of California likes it this way because the tax is based on the retail amount not the wholesale amount.
When I go to the wholesale house to pick up material for a contract then I pay the tax based on the wholesale price.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
In California ... Since I do service calls in addition to contracts, I have a State Sales Tax Certificate with the State of California. I file my state sales taxes quarterly.
When I go to my wholesale house to pick up material for service calls, I don't pay sales tax. The State of California likes it this way because the tax is based on the retail amount not the wholesale amount.
When I go to the wholesale house to pick up material for a contract then I pay the tax based on the wholesale price.
I agree. This is the way most states work. Lump sum/contract work is considered real property and material is taxed at the contractor purchase level VS itemized service work is personal property and taxed a final retail sale. The hassle is that you need 2 accounts with your suppliers and of course the extra work tracking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.