ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Not sure how you can change your IP-- it would change based on how you connect to the internet. Different routers and providers have different IP addresses
Sometimes you have to set the IP address to static and give it a particular number to talk to hardware (like a Sunny WebBox, for example) directly, but then you have to change it back to let the IP be assigned to you by the network. I've done it but you've got to tunnel down to the right menu to get access to it. PC's don't make it easy.

ggunn

Occupation
what is fone text fornat? u mean my ham radio cw shorthand? hmmmm.. if consensus is this is bad i will stop :) others?
I vote for standard English as well. When texting from mobile devices it makes sense because every keystroke is a pain, but from a regular keyboard it just makes one seem illiterate.

C U L8er :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sometimes you have to set the IP address to static and give it a particular number to talk to hardware (like a Sunny WebBox, for example) directly, but then you have to change it back to let the IP be assigned to you by the network. I've done it but you've got to tunnel down to the right menu to get access to it. PC's don't make it easy.

I figured this out reading the other posts. Thanks, I know you can set your IP to get obtain automatically or manually do it, however I never had to communicate with other hardware outside my office . Changing your IP manually is not quite as simple as some make it seem if you never did it before. I also think there are website that you visit and then enter sites thru their random IP's. I think many of the trolls do this to hide themselves from the moderators at forums. :D

iwire

Staff member
Changing your IP manually is not quite as simple as some make it seem if you never did it before.

I agree 100%, I had to do it a couple of times before I felt comfortable with it.

I had tech support tell me 'set the IP to the DVRs IP' so I tried and tried with no success until they asked me where I got the address from.

I said it is marked right on the side of the DVR, they said 'no, that is just the default one, we change that' like I was supposed to know that.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
if I remember right from my old controls days, to talk to each other, the laptop and the other devices need IP devices that don't quite match.

Something that starts the same, but ends different. Like:

and

Something about the same domain or something. But heck, I cant even remember if that's the right number of digits for an IP address.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
if I remember right from my old controls days, to talk to each other, the laptop and the other devices need IP devices that don't quite match.

and

Something about the same domain or something. But heck, I cant even remember if that's the right number of digits for an IP address.

When I used Norton antivirus years ago I had to tell the program to accept the IP range so that the other ones in the house could share files. I guess I did do that a long time ago. Forgot about that. Norton wouldn't allow the sharing and it took me forever to figure what was going on.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a print server for my laser printer so it can be used by anyone on the network. It needs a fixed IP address otherwise every time the router is restarted it may end up with a different address, then the settings for where to send print jobs in everyones computer will need changed every time router is restarted also, if it doesn't remain the same every time.

kwired

Electron manager
My software support for the plc indicated that the first three 888.121.767 needed to be the same. The last could vary 01,29, 011
Not an expert with networking but first sets of numbers generally do need to be same with devices you want to communicate with each other. Last set of digits must be different as each number represents a different device on the network. The router usually is .1 and most other devices are automatically assigned .2, .3, etc in the order they are connected to the network. If you restart the network or add additional devices they will not necessarly assign devices a number in same order as they previously were assigned. If you want a particular device to remain the same you have to set it to not be automatically assigned by the network.

pfalcon

As mike_kilroy posted:
On Win7

To see the IP address
Start> "cmd.exe" :: This will open a "DOS Command Window"
"ipconfig" :: This will display ALL your IP addresses on your box. You have to find the one for your connection.

To change the IP address
Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Local Area Connection > Properties
[Scroll down and highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"] > Properties
For normal connections check the radio buttons that say "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically"
For machine tool connections such as HMIs that use static addresses on a private subnet
1) You need to know the IP address ranges of the devices: Commonly 192.168.y.2 to 192.168.y.20 where y is a number from 0 to 255
2) You need to pick an IP address that matches the first three "octets" you found 192.168.y and then pick the fourth octet to be different than any of the others in the range of 2 to 250.

ex: Devices are 192.168.5.8, 192.168.5.9, 192.168.5.7 then your box needs to be 192.168.5.z where z can be 10 to 250 or 2 to 6 such as 192.168.5.100

3) Select "Use the following IP address" and set the chose IP; also in the subnet mask row put 255.255.255.0; leave the other rows alone.
4) Close everything and "Repair" the connection or reboot the laptop. You can then verify the IP address change as above.

Warning: The "Alternate Connection" tab was supposed to be usable. It is in XP3 but fails in Win7. Do not use.
Warning: Remember to set it back when done to obtaining addresses automatically if you need to make internet connections later.

ggunn

Occupation

and

Don't look now but IPv6 will change all that. :D

mike_kilroy

Not an expert with networking but first sets of numbers generally do need to be same with devices you want to communicate with each other. Last set of digits must be different as each number represents a different device on the network.....

Yep. That is what the submask is for. typically 255,255,255,0 -- means that 1,2,&3rd numbers of ip set must match, last one does not. reason is 255 is binary all 1's for all 8 digits: it means your ip address and the things you want to talk to must all be identical in ALL 8 positions as they get anded together to test against this submask number. the 0 in end is all 0's in the 8 bit word for that digit so ANY numbers will match the mask. You could put as example 255,0,0,0 and only have to have the FIRST number match but not common to do this.

Anyway, one more tidbit: the reason you have to SET a specific ip address sometimes is that the device you want to talk to may not have a dhcp server - that is a function to PICK a matching ip address for you automatically. Most networks have at least one dhcp server that will assign automatically an ip address to your computer to work with it, but most single little devices like hmi or low power controllers don't, so unless you specifically assign a good matching ip in your computer, it wont be able to talk to that simple device.

IT class 101 over now go have a beer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.