Ip Addressable Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaraujo1

I am reviewing circuit breaker panel schedule with addressable breakers using unique IP address thru IT network for lighting control with either perimeter daylight photo control or thru programmable control when there is no sensor.

Does any one have any information on NEC addressable breaker requirements in this type of configuration?
Any got you or recommendation I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

beanland

Breaker or Switch?

Breaker or Switch?

Are those truly overcurrent devices or switches? I have heard of their use in lighting control panels. I have seen nothing in NEC since this is cutting edge.

dbuckley

I'm familiar with a system that uses Cat5 for control in a manner that sounds like what you are doing, and the gotcha is to ensure that the Cat5 cable has an adequate voltage rating, same as any other wire pulled into a panel. Much Cat5 doesn't have a quoted voltage rating...

mdshunk

Do you have to use a special switch, hub, or router with opto-isolators, in case something bad happens in the breaker cabinet?

480sparky

Anyone do a WalMart lately? They use them a lot.

I did a WallyWorld several years ago, when they first started using them, but didn't have the opportunity to get close to them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
480sparky said:
Anyone do a WalMart lately? They use them a lot.

I did a WallyWorld several years ago, when they first started using them, but didn't have the opportunity to get close to them.

i was in wal-mart last night when the lights came on (they use skylights during the day). I caught my eye because of the order it came on.

Lets say there were 10 rows, it came on like this

5, 2, 1, 4, 3, 7, 6, 9, 8, 10.

am i being picky by saying that's an odd order? :)

480sparky

brantmacga said:
i was in wal-mart last night when the lights came on (they use skylights during the day). I caught my eye because of the order it came on.

Most Wally's built in the past 5 or 6 years are completely controlled from Bentonsville......lighting, HVAC, security...... Look close at one, and you'll be hard pressed to see a light switch or a thermostat.

Yes, there's photocells and temp sensors, but they relay the information to HQ (via satellite!), which makes a decision on what to do. Turn on a breaker for the Tire/Lube Express at 2AM, and in 10 seconds, it will shut off because T/LE *isn't supposed to be open* at that time.

It was hilarious to watch the cubbies try to figure out why breakers were 'tripping' even when there was no wire hooked up to them for a load.:smile:

masterinbama

wow I must be getting old the last wally world I did had the sales floor lighting laid out like this.

B O Y B O Y.........

O Y B O Y B.........

Y B O Y B O.........

then they had 3 contactors in the lighting panel 1 for the browns 1 for the oranges and 1 for the yellows. They called it 1/3 , 2/3 and full lighting. I will never forget one of my foremen giving a test to the lighting crew one day, his only question was how do you spell BOY

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Wally Worlds lighting and HVAC have been controlled from Bentonville for a long time, I took the first Novar class they offered, I think at least 20 years ago. Back then they used a dial-up modem to communicate with the store controls. They were able to shut down the store remotely providing the local override switches were not toggled. The orange box got tired of their people overriding locally that they removed the switches from their panel. Now unless you know what you are doing, the overrides are software driven and cause an alarm to be sent to corporate along with a log of the number of times and when it was done. Now Wally world uses dimming ballasts and dim the store lights instead of staging them.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
brantmacga said:

Looks like one of those number pattern tests from the SAT. "What's the next number in this sequence?"

jaraujo1

Great responses, thank you

Great responses, thank you

By the way, these are Square D 225 amps addressable panel for any one who want to look at the spec sheets or other information.

Status
Not open for further replies.