Irrigation Controller Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richterfan

My question is I have an irrigation controller that has a class two transformer inside of it. This controller is located on a commercial property. The disconnect and or breaker is behind a locked door. My question is usually we plug them into a GFI but can it be hardwired? General practices to put a switch or disconnect so that when the irrigation company has to change the controller it is easy for them to do but is a disconnect not required because it is a class 2 transformer?

kwired

Electron manager
Many professional grade controllers can be hardwired or cord and plug connected AFAIK.

Many your residential grade controllers have external power supply and most those usually plug in to a 5-15 receptacle

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If it were plug-in, the plug serves as the de-factor disconnect device. If it is hard wired, you would need a disconnecting means with lock-out capability. If it's just 120V to feed that Class 2 transformer though, that could be just a toggle switch with a padlockable cover.
images

Richterfan

If it were plug-in, the plug serves as the de-factor disconnect device. If it is hard wired, you would need a disconnecting means with lock-out capability. If it's just 120V to feed that Class 2 transformer though, that could be just a toggle switch with a padlockable cover.
images
Thanks but the question is, does the nec require it?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Good question. The NEC does not specifically address irrigation controllers, but if you think of it as an "appliance", then 422.31 would apply, or if you just think of it as a transformer, then Class 2 and Class 3 are exempt from the Article 450 rules. But regardless, I would not want to connect something that, if someone needs to replace it, cannot be disconnected from power.

Status
Not open for further replies.