Irrigation wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Sometimes I browse the shelves at Lowe's and Home Depot for no particular reason, other than the make fun of the DIY junk they sell. Yesterday, I noticed a few 500 foot rolls of 18-8 irrigation wire on the shelves for $133. This jumped out at me, mostly because maybe only 1 in every 1 billion houses in my area have a lawn sprinkler system. Right above that were 250 foot rolls of 18-8 thermostat wire for $88. Seems like the irrigation wire is a cost savings over thermostat wire, and it appears to be a superior product in every way. Any reasons not to use irrigation wire in place of thermostat wire in a riser application? Seems to be CL2 rated. The "jacket", if you want to call it that, seems more like poly tubing. Seems like tough stuff.

peter d

I'd say knock your socks off. It's kinda like using UF in place of NM, but if it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, go for it.

FWIW they are clearing out the 18/8 irrigation stuff at the HD I shop at. Not much of a market for it either apparently.

mdshunk

FWIW they are clearing out the 18/8 irrigation stuff at the HD I shop at. Not much of a market for it either apparently.
Yeah, and I suspect the same thing is going to happen to these rolls eventually too. If I happen to notice them go on clearance (I'm pretty sure they won't sell at regular price), I might snag a roll for an experiment. The colors of the conductors are identical to thermostat wire. That's the first thing I checked.

Volta

Riser

Riser

What about 725.179(C) (2008)?
. . . CL2 . . . suitable for general-purpose use, with the exception of risers, ducts, plenums . . .
Probably ok for penetrating one floor, but maybe not from basement to second floor.

mdshunk

What about 725.179(C) (2008)?
. . . CL2 . . . suitable for general-purpose use, with the exception of risers, ducts, plenums . . .
Probably ok for penetrating one floor, but maybe not from basement to second floor.
Uh... okay, but the markings were all the same as thermostat wire. That was the second thing I checked. I don't know much about the article you referenced.

Volta

I don't do much with thermostats, but I think in a dwelling an "x" suffix can be used through-out, "p" and "r" can be used in risers in any building.

725.154 (B)(1) (2008) needs cables vertically penetrating more than one floor be rated CL2R orCL3R ("P" can be substituted for "R").

peter d

725.154 (B)(1) (2008) needs cables vertically penetrating more than one floor be rated CL2R orCL3R ("P" can be substituted for "R").

Yes, penetrating fire rated floors. There are no fire rated floors in a typical single family dwelling unit.

220/221

I missed out on their closeout of DEWALT battery lights.

They suck anyway. It's their only inferior product that I have used. The gooseneck will not hold the lamp in place and the wires get broken inside. I have suggested to the reps many times that they go to the Ryobi style flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.