Is 2017 Rapid Shutdown required or not? 690.12(B)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpcarnahan

"After the public comment period, it was up to CMP 4 to decide how to proceed. After much deliberation - far more than for any other topic - CMP 4 combined the SEIA and fire service proposals and added language allowing for building-integrated glass or polymeric PV arrays with completely concealed wiring. The revised rapid-shutdown requirements in 690.12(B)(2) provide three compliance options for reducing hazards within a PV array.
  • Option 1: List and label or field-label PV array as a rapid-shutdown PV array.
  • Option 2: Limit control conductors within the array boundary to 80 V or less within 30 seconds of rapid-shutdown initiation.
  • Option 3: Install nonmetallic PV array with no exposed wiring and array more than 8 feet from any grounded metal parts.

To implement Option 1, industry stakeholders need to develop a product safety standard for rapid-shutdown PV arrays. To allow time for this standard's development process, CMP 4 added a delayed adoption date, specifying that 690.12(B)(2) "shall become effective January 1, 2019." One benefit of codifying Options 2 and 3 is that these provide stakeholders with some guidance on developing a consensus for the rapid-shutdown PV array certification standard."

My question: Does this last paragraph mean that 'only Option 1' is delayed to Jan. 1,2019 ? Or the whole requirement? Trying to determine if I have to provide module level shutdown in a state that has newly adopted 2017 NEC. My home state is still on 2008; thus my search for enlightenment.
thx. ~M

pv_n00b

The provision of 690.12(B)(2)(2) is set off until Jan 2019. 690.12(B)(2)(1) does not exist yet, and 690.12(B)(2)(3) was targeted at a very specific type of BIPV roof tile. So basically 690.12(B)(2) is not going to affect most people until 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.