Is a bare EGC permitted in RNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Are you going after the dissimilar metals angle?

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I'm trying to understand why a specific wiring method was singled out in the thread mentioned in my OP. If all wiring methods in the list can contain uninsulated EGCs, then why is AC special in Article 518?

Roger said:
Are you going after the dissimilar metals angle?
I wasn't when I first brought it up, but I wouldn't mind discussing it again. For example, Rick mentioned that angle in the other thread; instinctively, we believe such a rule exists when in reality I don't think it does.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
georgestolz said:
I wasn't when I first brought it up, but I wouldn't mind discussing it again. For example, Rick mentioned that angle in the other thread; instinctively, we believe such a rule exists when in reality I don't think it does.

It depends on how someone interprets and/or applies 358.12(6) or the 3xx.14 sections.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
roger said:
It depends on how someone interprets and/or applies 358.12(6) or the 3xx.14 sections.

That is perfect! I don't see how it could be applied any other way, unless we take it for granted that EGCs will not under any circumstances be conducting current in other than fault conditions. :cool:

Thanks for that, Roger!

Anyone disagree?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tom baker said:
I recommend the EGC in conduit, metal or not, be insulated, as in a ground fault it will get hot and could damage the adjacent conductors.
Doesn't the heating require more time than the protective device is supposed to allow? After all, look how small some EGC's may be compared to the corresponding circuit conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.