Is a ground needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Hi everybody I'm having a discussion with my Foreman he says that a ground is needed in each one of these runs I say no what we have is four sets of 500 MCM run in 4 inch PVC pipe from the Poco property line box to a main disconnect in the building
02451635cfe2e49d3e5f8e90a6f7ad67.jpg
9f3a76f7a0c01542f793de77504f1072.jpg
7c14cc9e2c541e3cf302733105c02974.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nickelec

If it is a service, then no grounds, just neutrals.
I agree but in your opinion what determines the service point in a nec aspect is the service point the property line box or the disconnect inside so are my wires secs or Feeders

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree but in your opinion what determines the service point in a nec aspect is the service point the property line box or the disconnect inside so are my wires secs or Feeders

what is in the "property line box"? is it just a j-box owned by the poco?

mwm1752

Service laterals have a grounded conductor & no equipment ground is not needed -- there are exceptions for grounded conductor -- what brand is the black piping & are the coupling approved for its installation -- without couplings it looks like primary laterals -- looks like it will be concrete covered since depth looks shallow

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Whether the conductors are the responsibility of POCO or customer depends on where the service point is. But either way they are service conductors up to the service disconnect (which must contain or be adjacent to the service OCPD).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nickelec

Property line box is just a j box where the Poco makes there connection but the bottom line is no ground in those pipes lol I'm pretty sure I was right about that point

Status
Not open for further replies.