Is a hole a hole?

ritelec

Hello
I have an enclosed outdoor bullet lighting fixture.

I have it pointed straight up. I set it to light a flag and don’t want It on an angle lighting the house also. There are no weep holes in the rim of the cover that holds the glass to enclose the fixture to let any collected water out.
I drilled 3 small holes in the lens cover yesterday. It rained last night and the water is collected on the glass past the holes I drilled.
I installed a couple larger enclosed RABS in the past and noticed they have a weep hole that’s oval shape In their glass cover.
Does the round hole not allow the water to escape as a oval hole will?
Is it a physics thing. Do I need to oval out the holes? Wondering.
Thanks

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
So the lense is pointing straight up and there is a rim that causes water to pool on top like a little swimming pool, so you drilled holes to let the water pour into the light fixture then out the weep holes in the bottom?

I think it would be better to notch the side of the rim so water can pour out the side.

Also, I don't know if an oval is better for water tension or not.

ritelec

Thank you.
I thought of the notch then after you mentioned it rethought it... maybe not complete the notch to the outside of the trim. Stop short so it’s a oval hole vertically to The fixture and not horizontal like I was thinking the way the RAB is.

Yes. Maybe the size of the hole ??

Now I’m thinking about the 1/4” weep holes I drill in exterior boxes, does the hole make a difference or are those boxes filling anyway? Is 1/4” the magic number ?

Does it make a difference drilling those holes In those exterior boxes on the side or bottom of the box?

Is a hole a hole ? :- )

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
If it were me, I'd start over with another light. Maybe one that doesn't have a rim. If water can now pour in the top, I'm guessing it will quickly corrode.
But if I were to add weep holes, I would put one at the lowest point and no other holes anywhere.

ritelec

Experimenting on a plastic bottle.

Round hole, oval horizontal and vertical, complete notch still hold water ??? Ha

ritelec

Reading around I noticed it mention different shapes and sharpness of angles affect tension.

New fixture maybe ?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I think if you put a little piece of bent metal in that hole it will break the surface tension. Maybe just a little piece of wire bent so it doesn't fall out.

It's kind of like how the moonshiners used a raccoon pecker at the end of the coil coming out of their still

ritelec

I think if you put a little piece of bent metal in that hole it will break the surface tension. Maybe just a little piece of wire bent so it doesn't fall out.

It's kind of like how the moonshiners used a raccoon pecker at the end of the coil coming out of their still
Ha!!! That did the trick. Thank you !

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sounds like the wrong light was used for that project. I use lights that are made to point up and no water intrusion. Most are used around fountains where there is a lot of water already, plus rain.

ritelec

Sounds like the wrong light was used for that project. I use lights that are made to point up and no water intrusion. Most are used around fountains where there is a lot of water already, plus rain.
Just curious, which light fixture might you recommend for the next project where I want to do something like this? Thank you

Attachments

• bush fixture.png
    bush fixture.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

ritelec

I see something like this but it still has the holes which probably don't weep. Also I just want to light something like the flag and not the house

What a gaggle that part turned into also. Par20 originally purchase 40 degree, too wide, 20 degree still too wide, 2-10 degree from on line.. expensive and they still bleed out to light the house. Installed dimmer. Dimmed is better but still not quite right.
I put the 40 degree back, will eat the 10 degrees and stick them someplace ??? and slide a 4" PVC over the entire thing this week, did a test and that seemed to work. Anything for mom and mom's flag :- )

Thank you

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician