Is a Licensed electrician required to be on premises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derelectric61

Occupation
Maint Manager
Hello,
I have a general question. If an electrical company/ contractor is sending employees to a jobsite. Residential, Commercial or Industrial. Is a Licensed electrician required to be on premises. If so where is it stated?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Electrical licensing is done at the State level so it would depend on the laws of that state. Around here the answer would be no.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most states don't require a licensed individual on the job. Federal jobs can require so many workers per supervisor or licensed person.

growler

Electrical licensing is done at the State level so it would depend on the laws of that state. Around here the answer would be no.

It;s not required here either.

I have seen a lot of confusion about this matter from some customers.

If the OP would provide his/her location (state) that would help.

Derelectric61

Occupation
Maint Manager
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm located in Indiana. I've seen companies come into facilities that have guys that have worked in the field for years, yet no one has a license. They are good at what they do. Learned well from others. But they don't know the new codes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We don't have to have a licensed person on the job site here. Only one licensed electrician required for the company. Illinois electrical licensing is at the county or city level, no state licenses.

However the state plumbing code requires everyone working on plumbing to be licensed, even the apprentices must have an "apprentice license". The state controls the plumbing code and licensing.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We don't have to have a licensed person on the job site here. Only one licensed electrician required for the company. Illinois electrical licensing is at the county or city level, no state licenses.

However the state plumbing code requires everyone working on plumbing to be licensed, even the apprentices must have an "apprentice license". The state controls the plumbing code and licensing.

Thats because when you get the sh____ sh____ out of you, it has to be disposed of properly.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I have read my states laws correctly, the licensee is required to supervise all work. My interpretation of that is it has to be personally inspected by the licensee. In practice, I know of no service company (including my own) that has the licensee go out to every (or even any) job and inspect the work of their own company employees. It should be noted that Florida has no required licensing for electricians. Anybody can do electrical work as long as it is supervised by a licensed EC. As far as I know, nobody sends totally unskilled people out on service trucks, but you never know.

However, there are cases where I have a contractual agreement with another contractor that allows them to pull an electrical permit under my license. These are for contractors that have a peripheral need for my services, but are fully capable of doing the work themselves. Examples are: solar contractors who need to wire their solar installation into the main panel; and mechanical contractors that need to relocate a disconnect. Both of these jobs require an EC permit under Florida law. My agreement with these companies requires them to schedule with me an EC inspection of their work prior to them calling for a county inspection. They are also obligated to fix any deficiencies I find. By inspecting the work that was performed under my permit I am properly supervising the electrical work under Florida law.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in VA, we're required to have more than one type of license:

1. The business entity must have a locality-issued business licence.

2. The business entity must have a state-issued contractor's license.

3. The business entity must employ a Master in each specialty trade.

As far as I know, every permitted job must be "supervised" by said Master. The question is how do you define supervision? Must he be present at each and every job any time any work is being performed, or just be convinced that the work is being done correctly?

paulengr

In every state I’ve seen the important point is that the licensed electrician must have control over the job. They can have people working under their license but they “run” the job. No rubber stamping. But for routine work might not be personally involved every step of the way. And it doesn’t say business and personnel management must be licensed. The licensed electrician controls technical aspects of ensuring correct installation.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The west coast have long required licensing of Journeyman Wireman (JW).
With exceptions there should be one of them on any new construction/major renovation commercial/industrial job in CA, OR, WA and AK.
California was last to do so in '08 I believe. Oregon and Washington laws go back quite some time.
Oddly they all have different requirements for taking the JW test and the JW license does not reciprocate easily. WA and OR are finally harmonizing this or next year.
Each state has a wildly different certification for a 'master' or business owner also (C10, Signing supervisor, Administrator respectively)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm located in Indiana. I've seen companies come into facilities that have guys that have worked in the field for years, yet no one has a license. They are good at what they do. Learned well from others. But they don't know the new codes.
The last time I done a job in Indiana, it was a one to two ratio. The inspector in Evansville would card everybody to make sure. And by the way, make sure you use purple primer on pvc conduit there, I walked an entire parking lot with him, and he checked every stick! LOL!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The last time I done a job in Indiana, it was a one to two ratio. The inspector in Evansville would card everybody to make sure. And by the way, make sure you use purple primer on pvc conduit there, I walked an entire parking lot with him, and he checked every stick! LOL!

Man, crazy you bring this up.... Got offered a job in Evansville last year and turned it down because of the JW card requirement. None of the states we work in require a JW card, so we don’t have any card carrying journeymen. We just didn’t have time to go through the licensing process and start the job on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
In California a Journeyman Wireman card is required on any city or state work, and private jobs too, I'm pretty sure its more so for Insurance liability purposes other than the installers wiring abilities.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The failure of CA JW certification (CLC Newsletter, Fall 2010), is a case where the "desire" of law is vastly different from compliance "defacto". Exploited laborers have dominated jobsites with superior motivation to avoid government authority, perhaps notoriously corrupt in their country of origin.

As the eyes and ears of State Wide Investigative Fraud Teams (SWIFT), licensed competitors have leveled the playing field with a can’t-beet-them-join-them approach. In 2016 the CA Contractors State License Board (CSLB) reported over 50% of all licensees declare themselves exempt from worker compensation (WC), for work not practical without employees. To deal with the industry wide failure of Workmans Comp. (WC) compliance, CA now grants CSLB representatives the authority to issue citations, without a peace officer, or district attorney. Presumably during SWIFT sting operations. (CLC Newsletter, Winter 2015-16)

Some licensed contractors have responded by structuring their help as partners or corporate officers, so labor regulations, payroll deductions, and perhaps consumer protections, become the burden of governments with limited tax-auditing, or enforcement resources. Labor exploit prevails thru history, and licenses may be learning to leverage corporate entities, leveling that playing field against the underground economy.

kwired

Electron manager
In California a Journeyman Wireman card is required on any city or state work, and private jobs too, I'm pretty sure its more so for Insurance liability purposes other than the installers wiring abilities.
Insurance industry was a big factor in having codes and licensing in the first place. Not all places have same laws, identical installation in two different places may see different insurance rates, differences in licensing requirements or code enforcement very likely play into those differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.