Is a loop required under a receptacle screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I agree, a loop is best practice. I see the Leviton online instructions say to make a 2/3 loop under the screw. However, does NEC or any code state that a loop under a screw is required?
I know NEC does not, but it does say you have to follow manufacturers instructions

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Back wire is the best of both worlds :)
Back wired or stab in is the best design for quick finish work but horrible for long term functionality, although I have to admit it's an easy money maker on correcting the ... "1/2 of my room doesn't work call" .

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
does NEC or any code state that a loop under a screw is required
not to be a smart alec but we put way to much criteria on what is or is not written within the NEC ... I don't think the NEC tells us to wear gloves or what tool is best for the job either. point being sometimes our educated common sense will prevail, not meaning to bash your personal character , just using your noted comment as a talking point. Yes some techniques are better than others, we don't need a boardroom of NEC rule makers to come to that conclusion for us.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree, a loop is best practice. I see the Leviton online instructions say to make a 2/3 loop under the screw. However, does NEC or any code state that a loop under a screw is required?
110.3(B)

retirede

We would except for the confusing metric wire sizes.

f9cbc57f583a26a5fa11a05f81e44c0b.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Correct and as I posted earlier, UL has instructions as well.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
These are all controls, all 1.0mm, not a lot to be confused about..........................:)
Wait, let me use Google to see what size that is in an available ordering size from the supply house. :LOL:

Oh No! 1.04 mm ² is 17 AWG, not happening here.:eek:

I use ferrules a lot in cabinets like that. Unless the devices have nice clamps, then I do not.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Wait, let me use Google to see what size that is in an available ordering size from the supply house. :LOL:

Oh No! 1.04 mm ² is 17 AWG, not happening here.:eek:
No - but the rest of the world does..................:)

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
These are all controls, all 1.0mm, not a lot to be confused about..........................:)
I think he was joking with you. Much (if not most) of our industrial controls wiring uses ferrules. Our wall switches and typical 15 and 20 amp receptacles have 5 screws for our duplex outlets; 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 for that bare, green, or yellow-green. Only the green and neutral are seen in this view.

Why 5 you ask? The brass tab between the silver screws showing can be broken to separate the 2 receptacles on the 1 yoke.

1674777799400.png

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Had a look at the wiring on a Hatteras yacht -- probably in the 1990's. The wiring was all stranded and all the terminations were crimped on connectors and light switches used were just normal Leviton.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
No - but the rest of the world does..................:)
well that doesn't impress me much, I like the numeric system I know, it's worked well within our construction industry and so far structures still stand tall and strong. I'm better at fractions I suppose.

Besoeker3

Occupation
well that doesn't impress me much, I like the numeric system I know, it's worked well within our construction industry and so far structures still stand tall and strong. I'm better at fractions I suppose.
And that's fine. But you don't fractions with currency like dollars or pounds.

Besoeker3

Occupation
I think he was joking with you. Much (if not most) of our industrial controls wiring uses ferrules. Our wall switches and typical 15 and 20 amp receptacles have 5 screws for our duplex outlets; 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 for that bare, green, or yellow-green. Only the green and neutral are seen in this view.

Why 5 you ask? The brass tab between the silver screws showing can be broken to separate the 2 receptacles on the 1 yoke.

View attachment 2563760

This what we have on our walls, usually a double.

Status
Not open for further replies.