Is ground rod needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well, what is required resistance to ground is 25 ohms or less, right? Break out the megger and see what you have. I thought it is required along with bonding building steel and water pipe, but the ufer is the thing in question...I'll check and I shall return with an answer.

You may use 1 rod if the rod resistance is 25 ohms or less as the GES. If not, 2 rods properly spaced are required. No further measurement is required by the NEC. A rod supplementing any other electrode does not need to be tested. A Ufer does not requre testing by the NEC.

This is not true-- if you don't have 25 ohms then only one more rod is needed whether you get 25 ohms or not

All I know is that your inspector can demand it according to the 25 ohms or less statement. They made us do it bro. Then they tested it. I'm sure bro. It's also in 250.53 that it must be sized according to the area of your largest conductor. Using table 250.66thats the equipment grounding conductor size chart. I thought it was 122 for services, hold on

All I know is that your inspector can demand it according to the 25 ohms or less statement. They made us do it bro. Then they tested it. I'm sure bro. It's also in 250.53 that it must be sized according to the area of your largest conductor. Using table 250.66thats the equipment grounding conductor size chart. I thought it was 122 for services, hold on

No it is 250.66 and I'm sure you have to drive a rod no matter what else is there.I'd just take the safe route, the less ohms to ground at your service the better the service wi) be anyway. But if you're looking for the code, it's right there in 250.53, and you don't meet either of the exceptions. Sorry bro. I disagree and say it's required.

You may use 1 rod if the rod resistance is 25 ohms or less as the GES. If not, 2 rods properly spaced are required. No further measurement is required by the NEC. A rod supplementing any other electrode does not need to be tested. A Ufer does not requre testing by the NEC.

Oh, I didn't see this earlier, but quote the code or hit the road. You can't just declare things to be accepted without an article backing it up. I haven't read it yet, either. And I've been reading these exceptions for almost an hour...nada

jumper

Table 250.66 is for sizing Grounding Electrode Conductors.

Table 250.122 is for sizing Equipment Grounding Conductors.

GECs that only go to rod, pipe, or plate electrodes need never be larger than #6 CU. 250.66(A)

The only demand an inspector could make is that you prove 25 ohms or less if you install only one rod, install two and no test can be required.

Nothing in 250.53 is about sizing a GEC, that is in 250.66.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tom you have not quoted one section to back your statements yet you jump on someone else for not doing so. I have given you a number of articles and you still say what you remember is correct. If your inspector made you get 25 ohms then he is either wrong or you misinterpreted the scenario. Perhaps they only used one rod and had to prove 25 ohms. That could be but you do not need more than 2 rods no matter what the readings may be. Maybe the specs on your job required it IDK but what you are saying is not NEC info.

jumper

No it is 250.66 and I'm sure you have to drive a rod no matter what else is there.I'd just take the safe route, the less ohms to ground at your service the better the service wi) be anyway. But if you're looking for the code, it's right there in 250.53, and you don't meet either of the exceptions. Sorry bro. I disagree and say it's required.

Interesting. You realize you are disagreeing with yourself here.;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You really need to slow down BRO, you keep posting and besides disagreeing with yourself you are making incorrect statements.

You are talking to top of the line people in these forums.

Roger

user 100

If your inspector made you get 25 ohms then he is either wrong or you misinterpreted the scenario. Perhaps they only used one rod and had to prove 25 ohms. That could be but you do not need more than 2 rods no matter what the readings may be....

Wonder if anybody seriously does the 25 ohm test for a dwelling.:happyno:

The prevailing wisdom is that the test is a complete waste of time- faster to just do another rod and go home.:happyyes:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wonder if anybody seriously does the 25 ohm test for a dwelling.:happyno:

The prevailing wisdom is that the test is a complete waste of time- faster to just do another rod and go home.:happyyes:

I think you got it-- why bother it takes way more time than adding a rod.... I did a 3 point test once just for fun so I could compare the 2 rods to a ufer.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Oh, I didn't see this earlier, but quote the code or hit the road. You can't just declare things to be accepted without an article backing it up. I haven't read it yet, either. And I've been reading these exceptions for almost an hour...nada

I figured I should have quoted but I am on vacation and My Dear Sweet Wife would have burned a much bigger spot on my butt than you, had I brought the NEC along.
I sneak in a few relaxing moments while she is still sleeping.
I also figured several others would jump on this with quotes and both feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.