Is grounding the gas meter required?

DaveBowden

We are remodeling a house and the homeowner is having a natural gas "on demand" water heater installed. There is no gas on the property now. The heater is outside, there are no metal water pipes in the house, there are no other gas appliances nor any gas piping in the house. The gas meter will be about 5 feet from the heater and about 25 feet and on the other side of a door from the electric service. Since there is no gas inside the house, does the gas meter still require grounding?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.102(B)
(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Gas piping will require bonding, but not the gas meter itself. In fact, unless you know the gas meter has a dielectric union on its inlet side (I know it has at least one dielectric union, not sure which side), bonding the gas meter could cause a problem.

Cheers, Wayne

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Will usually make a bonding after the dielectric fitting near point of entry to building. That usually gets you close for water pipe bond as well. If Heater is nearer and no dielectric fitting that will make any required additional connection will bond there.
Does the heater have an electrical connection? If not I don't see how it is "likely to become energized". If it does have an electrical connection, then it is grounded/bonded by the EGC in the circuit serving the heater and nothing additional is required.
Have seen heaters with a flex gas connector, My understanding that this then would require additional bonding.

DaveBowden

The heater has a 3 prong flexible cord that plugs into an AF/GF protected WR receptacle for the igniter. There may be flexible gas pipe connected to the heater for the gas supply but no other metal pipe that I know of anywhere. The water pipes are all CPVC. The gas pipe, with a possible exception of a strap on the flex pipe, is not attached to the house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If there is CSST piping coming from the meter then, IMO it needs to be bonded unless it is the special kind that doesn't need bonding, like ounterstrike