Is it legal to have a 20A feeder to 3 circuits in a shed?

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds like I need to see if they are OK with a 2-pole switch, especially since there is no knowing if the 20A 240V feeder main would trip before a 20A 120V branch breaker.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This makes me stop and think.

If the Feeder was protected by a 2 pole 20 amp circuit breaker, and, the breakers in the MLO to the branch circuit were sized at 30 amps, could you not then consider the "Feeder" to the structure a "Multi-Wire Branch Circuit" seeing as how the actual Branch Circuit Overload protection is actually the 20 amp feeder breaker and the breakers in the panel are serving as nothing more than switches? :)

JAP>

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks again for your input, the disconnect of the feeder where is where it begins no? It starts from a 2 pole 20 in the main building. If I shut off the breaker at the end of the feeder I have not disconnected it, its still on.
Start reading at 225.31 as that tells you all about the disconnecting means for the detached building. It is not a feeder disconnect, it is a building disconnect. A key is subpart (B) Location. The disconnect needs to be at the remote building, nearest the point of entry of the conductors.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Start reading at 225.31 as that tells you all about the disconnecting means for the detached building. It is not a feeder disconnect, it is a building disconnect. A key is subpart (B) Location. The disconnect needs to be at the remote building, nearest the point of entry of the conductors.
Yes and they are planning on clarifying that for the 2026, I think there were a few proposals to change the wording to the disconnect required by 225.31.
6 to ground rod, rods.
I think he could do a #8 as thats the minimum in 250.66.