Is it worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
One of my instructors recommended it, but last time I checked it was over $100.00. Haven't had the extra $ so I've managed without it.

iwire

Staff member
A lot of it is out of date. I bought a copy a few years ago and I don't reccomend it. Gey something else.
~Peter

Out of date? Kind of.

But another way to look at it is that they keep adding the new stuff and do not remove the old so it is kind of a history lesson.

I like the book and am glad I bought it but I do not recommend it for exam prep.

Buy Mike's books or any of the other exam prep books out there.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . it is kind of a history lesson.
That's the reason I keep going back to it. I got my first copy when I was starting out as an EC, thinking I'd use it other ways. I found a lot of work, in existing dwellings built before 1950. Reading the Handbook gave me insights into the installation techniques used, and gave me ideas about tools to use, and even ways to use them.

I think the best one, the one that has wow'ed the occasional customer, was a sectional drill bit made out of 18" and 24" lengths of 1/2" threaded water pipe. The good ole guys that electrified the fine old gas lit Victorians in the 1800s used a brace and bit and these homemade extensions to drill from the basement to the attic of even two story homes.

iaov

I agree with Bob. There are lots better books for exam prep but I do love my copy of AEH. I read it late at night by myself.:)

iwire

Staff member
Another great history lesson is the Lineman's Handbook.

In that one you will learn how to set telephone poles with no machinery, just some guys and some technique.

I used to have it but lent it out ......:roll:

books

GeorgeKoehl

thanks for all the feed back. I think I will add a copy to my collection (later); we do find ourselves in some older installations, from time to time, and it would be nice to that the reference; But I will focus on exam prep for now.

joebell

Another great history lesson is the Lineman's Handbook.

In that one you will learn how to set telephone poles with no machinery, just some guys and some technique.
books

Thats the book we used when I was in the Navy and thats exactly what they used it for teaching us how to erect poles................by hand!:D

joebell

Btw

Btw

to the OP I own the AEH and find it to be a valuable reference. I would have to agree with Bob and the others in regards to it not being a study manual for an exam. I can personally highly reccommend Mikes products.

mcclary's electrical

Even though BOb said don't use it for exam prep, In VA, the only two reference books listed for the State Master test is currently 2005 NEC and AEH 15th

mtfallsmikey

That's the reason I keep going back to it. I got my first copy when I was starting out as an EC, thinking I'd use it other ways. I found a lot of work, in existing dwellings built before 1950. Reading the Handbook gave me insights into the installation techniques used, and gave me ideas about tools to use, and even ways to use them.

I think the best one, the one that has wow'ed the occasional customer, was a sectional drill bit made out of 18" and 24" lengths of 1/2" threaded water pipe. The good ole guys that electrified the fine old gas lit Victorians in the 1800s used a brace and bit and these homemade extensions to drill from the basement to the attic of even two story homes.

Dad had a setup like that, only he used 3/8" black steel pipe, and the Milwaukee adapter, from 3/8" NPT/female to a chuck w/allen set screws, using the Selfeed bits.....our purpose for it was to install plumbing vents....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How would one prevent the sections from unscrewing when you have to reverse the drill for one reason or another?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
How would one prevent the sections from unscrewing when you have to reverse the drill for one reason or another?
It really is a clockwise only assembly.

But, you know, in all the uses I've put it to I've never gotten into a situation where the only solution was to reverse the drill.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't use auger bits;)

I've never used anything but auger bits in mine.
Well, both of you can't be right! :roll: :)grin:)

My friend the EE says only an electric trimmer for trimming the beard, and his cousin says only scissors, and they're both right; just ask them.

What kind of bit do you use, Wayne?

mtfallsmikey

Well...back in those days Dad did not own a reversing drill.....until he bought the brand-new then-radical Milwaukee Hole Hawg for me as a birthday present in '72, which I still have today. My brother still has one of his old metal bodied Milwaukee Sawzalls, with the original case, which dates back to the late 50's. You have to keep in mind the original principle behind the pipe extensions, etc., was that most of the houses had plaster walls, and it was difficult to cut a section out and get it repaired where it blended in, unlike drywall.

Status
Not open for further replies.