Is Schedule 40 OK for use under a residential driveway?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
JP, I think its presumed that underGround Is presumed protected but not clear on that
I’ve only ran entire runs of schedule 40 or schedule 80 but not transitioned underground from 40 to exit as sch 80 for outside protection of feeders. Does anyone on this post know how this would be done? Handhoke junction box, pvc box with cover?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The local utilities here use a flimsy conduit that is not even schedule 40 reminds me of common irrigation pipe but its gray. You see it spooled up on the directional boring rigs. They often switch to sch 80 when going back up a pole. Not that they are subject to the NEC or anyhting but their engineers dont want to be replacing crushed conduit either.
I believe that is either Type A or Type EB PVC conduit. The do have a much thinner wall thickness than Schedule 40.
While not mentioned in Article 352, there is a conduit size and area in Chapter 9 for Type A PVC.
I believe that is what is being talked about in Note 2 to Table 300.5 as the UL Guide information says Type A can only be used where encased in concrete.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I’ve only ran entire runs of schedule 40 or schedule 80 but not transitioned underground from 40 to exit as sch 80 for outside protection of feeders. Does anyone on this post know how this would be done? Handhoke junction box, pvc box with cover?
The ODs and the fittings for the two schedules of PVC are the same, so you simple use a coupling. No need for anything other than to make sure that the wire fill is based on the internal area of the schedule 80.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The local utilities here use a flimsy conduit that is not even schedule 40 reminds me of common irrigation pipe but its gray. You see it spooled up on the directional boring rigs. They often switch to sch 80 when going back up a pole. Not that they are subject to the NEC or anyhting but their engineers dont want to be replacing crushed conduit either.
Sounds like hdpe conduit which is an nec option

kwired

Electron manager
The ODs and the fittings for the two schedules of PVC are the same, so you simple use a coupling. No need for anything other than to make sure that the wire fill is based on the internal area of the schedule 80.
I prefer to ream the inside of the Schedule 80 a little to get rid of that little step on inside wall. things like fish tapes seem to like to hang up on that edge. Though they like to hang up in any just about any fitting with PVC it seems

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I prefer to ream the inside of the Schedule 80 a little to get rid of that little step on inside wall. things like fish tapes seem to like to hang up on that edge. Though they like to hang up in any just about any fitting with PVC it seems
So I always ream any pvc I do. It's a goof habit and I will always argue in its favor whenever im told its a waste of time