Is the design of circuit breaker boxes incorrect for lightning strikes? Watching Mike's video.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
the grounding electrode conductor may need to be a #4 if that's a 200A panel.
besides if that wall remains open theres a duplex that will get covered and some romex needs strapping plus the romex is not allowed normally to be accessible to damage as it presently is.

not to mention the looped feeders tend to promote inductance so I've been told.
I think you missed this post..
Those are just picture examples I found online that clarified my point.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
the grounding electrode conductor may need to be a #4 if that's a 200A panel.
I do believe he said #6 to the ground rod.
Now if that bare cu went to the water line qualified as an electrode. Then I can see that.
I have been watching Mike Holt's video on Grounding, System and Equipment [250.4, 2020 NEC].

In the video he says that lightening travels so fast that it doesn't take curves well because of skin effect. As a result of this, it is best to avoid unnecessary bends and loops in the grounding wire.

Here is the video:

However, in electrical circuit breaker panels some electricians put in drip loops (really a bend) in the ground wires. They also create right angles with the 6AWG wire which goes to the grounding rod (to make it neat and pretty).

Given this nature of lightening, shouldn't the grounding wire which goes to the ground rod be attached vertically at the bottom of the grounding bar? Then the wire should go straight out the bottom of the box and straight to the grounding rod?

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
One item to remember is that the GEC is sized from conductor size not breaker or panle size.
However usually a 200 amp panel ungrounded conductor would call for a #4 GEC.
Since the OP is starting to understand artical 250 I wanted to clarify.
See 250.66(A) for exception for #6 cu