Is there a 2 pole 60 amp AFCI breaker in existance for residential 120/240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFJES

Does anyone know if there is a 2 pole 60 amp AFCI breaker on the market for residential 120/240v service? I see so far just 2 pole 15 and 20 amp out there. If there is not too worried as to who the manufacturer is at this point, just more interested in knowing if such a breaker exists first.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Does anyone know if there is a 2 pole 60 amp AFCI breaker on the market for residential 120/240v service? I see so far just 2 pole 15 and 20 amp out there. If there is not too worried as to who the manufacturer is at this point, just more interested in knowing if such a breaker exists first.

Thanks

I would be very surprised because the only size circuits they are required are 15 and 20 amp 125 volt circuits.

No need to make something that won't be sold and I doubt even the manufacturers would gamble by using a AFCI main to protect a number of branch circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Agreed I doubt it exists. If you are thinking about controlling an entire panel with it then that IMO is a very bad idea.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
May not be long though, once 2017 NEC updates are in force if all circuits including 240 volt appliances are added to the list you may see them then.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
May not be long though, once 2017 NEC updates are in force if all circuits including 240 volt appliances are added to the list you may see them then.

Can you imagine troubleshooting with the entire house on an afci. I doubt that they will ever make them

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agreed I doubt it exists. If you are thinking about controlling an entire panel with it then that IMO is a very bad idea.

Definitely agree.
In addition an argument could be made that 210.12 requires the AFCI protection be branch circuit protection

Pizza

It's actually not a bad idea.... When you go back to troubleshoot a tripping arc fault breaker you would only have to replace (1) arc fault breaker with a regular breaker instead of replacing 20-25 of them.
Boom your done good to go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
It's actually not a bad idea.... When you go back to troubleshoot a tripping arc fault breaker you would only have to replace (1) arc fault breaker with a regular breaker instead of replacing 20-25 of them.
Boom your done good to go now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that is a bad idea, it would take forever to troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.