Is there a limit to the number of wires you can land on a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nope.

For small breakers only SQD QO and Cutler Hammer CH (tan handles) are listed for two wires IIRC. None are listed for 3 or more,

Interesting. People pay me to fix double-tapped breakers all the time (because the house inspector said it was an issue). I didn't know there were any listed for two wires and truthfully I'm not going to bring the subject up. I like the business! :D

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Interesting. People pay me to fix double-tapped breakers all the time (because the house inspector said it was an issue). I didn't know there were any listed for two wires and truthfully I'm not going to bring the subject up. I like the business! :D

You can tell that the SQd have provisions for two conductors because the clamp has two slots for a wire. but FYI that is only for the smaller conductors.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

It would be hard to prove on the old breakers unless there is some documentation. Best to just pigtail it and avoid issues.

kwired

Electron manager
Nope.

For small breakers only SQD QO and Cutler Hammer CH (tan handles) are listed for two wires IIRC. None are listed for 3 or more,

Can't tell you for certain about Cutler Hammer, but Homeline also accepts two conductors, but but both QO and HOM only accept two conductors for 30 amps and less - the ones with screw through a pressure plate type of terminal. The GFCI and AFCI versions however are not designed to have access to both sides of the terminal and only intended to accept one conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.