Is this a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ Conner

The guys a mechanical engineer, he should stick to pipes and pumps.
IF special ops people are working where there are service drops they can go to 7-11 and buy batteries.

kwired

Electron manager
I want to see what happens when that razor blade cuts in between the two hots or a hot and the neutral.

-Hal

How about a 2.4/4.16Kv line:mad:

I would rather have a solar powered charger. If you are Spec Ops and on a mission you probably do not have time to stop and charge a battery for a piece of equipment that should have been checked before the mission started. Spec OPs are very high on details on everything - and they have to be or they will not succeed.

jghrist

Even if it works as designed, it would only work on triplex service drops. Typical service drops in the Middle East are separate insulated wires, not triplex with a bare neutral. They would also be 230V to ground, so a device that works in the USA wouldn't help much in Afghanistan or Iraq.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Actually it's not as dumb as you think. Remember who is buying this- the government. Makes perfect sense to them, they are probably paying $50K each. Then the special forces guys use the cable to pull trucks out of the sand.

-Hal

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You guys are a bit harsh I think. In the video they make it clear this is to be used on the power lines feeding a residence, so as mentioned, that will be 240V in most places outside of the US. Even if it is 120V as it would be here, there are plenty of power supplies that can accept a wide voltage input, I have seen some that can accept 85-285VAC with no adjustments.

The problem is more in that video production, where someone got a little ambitious in saying it would be good for tapping into power lines in deserts and jungles "where there are no outlets"; that would be false. If it is designed (as the inventor said) to connect at a residential service drop, one would have to assume there is an outlet available in the residence, but maybe not accessible. Remember it was commissioned by Special Ops, so most likely the spooks don't want to knock on Mohamed's front door to ask him if they can plug in the battery charger for the smart bomb tracking system they put on his roof...

Even if it works as designed, it would only work on triplex service drops. Typical service drops in the Middle East are separate insulated wires, not triplex with a bare neutral. They would also be 230V to ground, so a device that works in the USA wouldn't help much in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Yeah, SO's wouldn't think of that. It is obvious that their lives include extreme risk taking on a daily basis, but what people forget that their training put the highest emphasis on survivability. A dead solder has no value. They also have the authority to reject ANY requested action if they judge it unsafe. Each members of the units are trained in specific skills, so you can be sure that the guy, whose job is to throw the line has practiced that hundreds of times.

Would I advise and ordinary mortal to do such a thing. Of course not, but these guys are nothing of the ordinary. Let's remember that on the day after Veterans Day.

Incidentally insulation piercing connectors into live wires is nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.