Is this a wet location?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis is there any reason that Communications cable, under article 800 would be EXEMPT from “wet locations” requirements? Using the 2020 Code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
800.3(D) in older codes, or (E) in the 2023, reference 110.3(B). That would bring in the product listing and that will specify if the cable is suitable for wet locations or not.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
800.3(D) in older codes, or (E) in the 2023, reference 110.3(B). That would bring in the product listing and that will specify if the cable is suitable for wet locations or not.

Thanks Don. Going to 110.3(B)
If the cable shows it’s listed per UL2250, would that mean the cable has been tested for wet locations?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I don't know what the listing standard requires.

Don, UL 2250 Refers to NEC 727 (2020) which states “The outer jacket shall be sunlight and moisture resistant.” Per 727.6
Is moisture resistant the same as “wet resistant”?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, UL 2250 Refers to NEC 727 (2020) which states “The outer jacket shall be sunlight and moisture resistant.” Per 727.6
Is moisture resistant the same as “wet resistant”?

In my opinion, they are not the same, but 727.4(6) permits that cable to be used as aerial cable on a messenger which is typically an outside wet location.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
In my opinion, they are not the same, but 727.4(6) permits that cable to be used as aerial cable on a messenger which is typically an outside wet location.

It looks like UL1277 would indicate the cable has been tested for wet locations.