Is this acceptable according to the UL Listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe tedesco

Is this an acceptable use of a meter socket enclosure according to the UL Listing for this product?

joet001_2.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Re: Is this acceptable according to the UL Listing?

It could be.

First we can not see if the lugs have been changed to a lug rated for two conductors.

Second the conductors may be tapped with a tap connector, split bolt, couple tap, etc.

Imposable to tell from that photo alone.

charlie

The enclosure is a wide place in the conduit, it is not service equipment. If someone wants to make a splice or tap, they must have enough room and meet the requirements of the Code. I don't see what the listing has to do with the amount of room available in an enclosure. We would not permit that installation on our system but we maintain control of the meter fitting.

Joe, what is the purpose of your posting? :D

joe tedesco

Originally posted by charlie:
The enclosure is a wide place in the conduit, it is not service equipment. If someone wants to make a splice or tap, they must have enough room and meet the requirements of the Code. I don't see what the listing has to do with the amount of room available in an enclosure. We would not permit that installation on our system but we maintain control of the meter fitting.

Joe, what is the purpose of your posting? :D
Only an inexperienced and unqualified person with little knowledge of wiring and rules as per NEC 90.7 would try to add a line side tap to the lugs on the top of this meter socket enclosure --- let's face it there just isn't enough room no matter how you look at it!

It is a violation :eek: and should not be permitted!

socket.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Joe, is the meter can(s) always an NEC issue?

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by joe tedesco:
Only an inexperienced and unqualified person with little knowledge of wiring and rules as per NEC 90.7 would try to add a line side tap to the lugs on the top of this meter socket enclosure --- let's face it there just isn't enough room no matter how you look at it!

It is a violation :(

You know the location of this meter why not call the inspector or the power company and discuss your concerns with them? ;)

[ February 18, 2005, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jimwalker

Would the size of wire on second meter perhaps be rather small ? What size service is it ? Maybe less than 50 amps.Open it up then take pic.

joe tedesco

Of course you could be right, the conductors could be just double tapped on the on the line side terminals and money passed to get it approved.
Crossing the neutral $$ eh! :D

Charlie:

Yes, I do take and post pictures and indicate their locations in magazines, and there are many times that the problems are corrected.

I am surprised at the way in which the comments here seem to think that the use of the equipment in this manner should be acceptable.

I can't go to the site and remove the meter you know that.

So the best way is to look the other way according to some!

QUESTION: If the AHJ was called to inspect a brand new installation that had the same setup as above with two meters would that be acceptable?

Do you have any specification in your guide that show this as an acceptable way?

I mean no harm, and I am just trying to get some comments from the other members and not always from the Moderators.
;) ;)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Joe,
Without seeing the inside of the first meter there is no way to tell if there is a violation. I think that you could make a legal tap on the line side of the first meter. Maybe, a double lug kit was installed on the line side or a small tap device was used. This not an automatic violation.
Don

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Two meter sockets like this, once were common in Wisconsin and Michigan. The "second" socket was for electric heating, in particular 30A hot water heaters, which was billed at a different rate. I have no idea how the tap was performed, but one recent POCO manual infers it as two wires in one lug.

Forgot to ask:
Joe, why do you care if this installation is in violation of the UL Listing? NRTL listing are guidelines/suggestions not laws/requirements.

[ February 18, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: jim dungar ]

sandsnow

I agree, this is a picture where a conclusion cannot be drawn without more info. I would not turn this down based soley on this photo, nor would I accept it based soley on this photo.

Yes it could be OK. I looked up the UL info on this and it is silent on this issue except that terminals for more than one conductor shall be so marked (paraphrased)
The label inside cover may say more.

If you have the room per Art 312, then cool.

Here this would be a dual jurisdiction type thing over the meter socket enclosure unless the Poco sent us a letter taking control.

joe tedesco

Originally posted by jim dungar:
Two meter sockets like this, once were common in Wisconsin and Michigan. The "second" socket was for electric heating, in particular 30A hot water heaters, which was billed at a different rate. I have no idea how the tap was performed, but one recent POCO manual infers it as two wires in one lug.

Forgot to ask:
Joe, why do you care if this installation is in violation of the UL Listing? NRTL listing are guidelines/suggestions not laws/requirements.
Jim:

Just trying to find out the answer to the question I asked:

"Is this an acceptable use of a meter socket enclosure according to the UL Listing for this product?"

I imagine that there are some who would agree where the issue related to the use of this equipment was not installed as required by 110.3(B)..... I will research this question.

PS: NRTL's are not usually required in the residential markets. See OSHA rules.

See 90.7, "qualified electrical testing laboratories" what does that section mean to you?

Look here for some images of installations that can be questioned by any AHJ.:

http://themeterguy.com/photogallery/index1.html

Removed advertising link to Joe's web site. Charlie

[ February 18, 2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: charlie ]

joe tedesco

Charlie:

I am not advertising when I posted a link to the pictures in my gallery.

I am not trying to sell anything!

I have only to try and educate.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

90.7 tells me the AHJ must decide if equipment is approved for the application and has been installed correctly. NRTL listings are only a convenience to the AHJ as no further safety examination should be required if standard testing/evaluation has been conducted.

brentp

Joe,

I have no idea whether or not the pic you showed "is acceptable according to the UL listing". You say "I have only try to educate". Well, educate me.

Brent

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by joe tedesco:
I found the answer to my question, just as I suspected! :)
Joe we all know that, what we do not know is the listing of that meter. ;)

I have to ask all here a question how would the NEC apply to a meter socket that is sealed by the utility taking in to account 90.2(B)(5)(a)?

It's metering.

It's under the control of the utility.

According to 90.2(B)(5)(a) that would put it out of the NECs scope.

What am I missing? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.