IS THIS ACCORDING TO 70E

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure961

Just found out from management it is ok for qualified workers to do minor electrical work in class 1,2 areas, such as removing electrical devices and capping conduits . They have completed 70e training which was limited to voltage testing for loto purposes, classroom training also was part of the 8hr class.
I understand any QW can be trained to do any type of electrical work but they would have to be trained first before advancing to another level.

Is training first the correct way for the QW to advance and how far can they go as per 70e?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just found out from management it is ok for qualified workers to do minor electrical work in class 1,2 areas, such as removing electrical devices and capping conduits . They have completed 70e training which was limited to voltage testing for loto purposes, classroom training also was part of the 8hr class.
I understand any QW can be trained to do any type of electrical work but they would have to be trained first before advancing to another level.

Is training first the correct way for the QW to advance and how far can they go as per 70e?

How much training is actually required to safely remove an electrical device and cap the wires? If they know how to safely deenergize and lockout the appropriate circuit, my guess is that unless there is something highly unusual going on, they would have the skills to also do this work, or could learn it quite readily.

I don't know exactly what you mean by Class 1,2 areas. Are you referring to classified areas? If so there are other requirements related to working in those areas that they would also need to know that are not strictly speaking electrical in nature.

being qualified is not so much about having some kind of arbitrary training course under your belt like an apprenticeship. Even journeyman electricians are required to be qualified for specific tasks. just because someone has completed an apprenticeship does not make that individual qualified to do a specific electrical task.

Last edited:

bure961

These areas are classified as class I div 1 and div 2 . wouldn't some type of training, knowledge be required before a person was able to work in this area ?
70e is about electrical safety and training doucumentation before you are able to do electrical work ?

zog

According to the NFPA 70E, a ?Qualified Person" is one who is trained and knowledgeable of the construction and operation of the equipment or the specific work method, and be trained to recognize the hazards present with respect to that equipment or work method.

Such persons shall also be familiar with the use of the precautionary techniques, personal protective equipment, insulating and shielding materials, and insulated tools and test equipment. A person can be considered qualified with respect to certain tasks but still be unqualified for others.

An employee that is undergoing on the job training and who, in the course of such training, has demonstrated the ability to perform duties safely at his or her level of training and who is under the direct supervision of a qualified person shall be considered to be a qualified person for the performance of those duties.

In addition, to be permitted to work within the limited approach of exposed energized conductors and circuit parts the person shall be trained in all of the following:
Qualified employees shall be trained and competent in:
?The skills and techniques necessary to distinguish exposed live parts from other parts of electric equipment
?The skills and techniques necessary to determine the nominal voltage of exposed live parts
?The minimum approach distances specified in this section corresponding to the voltages to which the qualified employee will be exposed, and,
?The decision making process necessary to determine the degree and extent of the hazard and the personal protective equipment and job planning necessary to perform the task safely

A few notes to add to the 70E definition.
?Only the employer can deem an employee qualified after they have had the proper training and have demonstrated profinency using the skills and method learned.
?There is no such thing as NFPA 70E certification, going to a training course does not make an employee qualified.
?The most misunderstood part of the "qualified" term is that it is all emcompassing, you are "qualified" to work on a specific type or piece of equipment.
?Neither a J-card, a masters license, or an engineering degree make you a "qualified person"
?The word "electrician" is not anywhere in the definition of a "qualified person" meaning these rules apply to all employees and you dont have to be an electrician to be "qualified"

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
These areas are classified as class I div 1 and div 2 . wouldn't some type of training, knowledge be required before a person was able to work in this area ?
70e is about electrical safety and training doucumentation before you are able to do electrical work ?

I would say that they would need training specific to working in classified areas but it has little to do with NFPA70E.

abhishekbt

I would also like to say that a brief training would help you better in all situation and it is always recommended to get trained before starting work in any area.

Status
Not open for further replies.