Is this allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Not according to the nameplate info you posted. They are straight 208/230. If they required a neutral there would be a 120 shown on the label.
I have never seen a package HVAC unit that required a neutral. For split systems the furnace/air handler may be 120 but this would be a completely separate circuit.

I would also normally install that 40 amp breaker for this unit even if I could get 45's. I trypically don't use 25's, 35's or 45's unless the units minimum and max OCP happen to be the same and require the odd size breaker.
Just going by what was seen of the wire, there was 4 conductors 2black, 1 white 1 green. Maybe white was not connected don't know will check when back on site. Only did cursory check for parts list, but came against the 45A breaker availability issue.
But if I can place at any location on bus because no actual neutral connection it would also then need a straight rated 240, not a 120/240 as was already pointed out by someone. Correct? Simpler for availability is just be aware of breaker placement and use the 120/240 breaker.
Of course this is all IF the original installers did indeed use the 240/120 Delta configuration as labeled. This company I've seen many, many wireing phoepas, mislabeled, no labels, and other electrical issues in there locations when I've gone in to do service. No shortage of "What were they thinking" moments on their sites.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Now was back to site. Panel (main breaker) is marked as a highleg delta (factory marked, not field marked), but when metered each leg only metered 120V to neutral and 240 phase to phase, appearing no high leg present. So is this a miss marking of panel or other issue that should be looked into? If it is a miss mark is it a code violation? Or is marking (factory) simply making the panel "usuable as" not that "it is" a highleg?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now was back to site. Panel (main breaker) is marked as a highleg delta (factory marked, not field marked), but when metered each leg only metered 120V to neutral and 240 phase to phase, appearing no high leg present. So is this a miss marking of panel or other issue that should be looked into? If it is a miss mark is it a code violation? Or is marking (factory) simply making the panel "usuable as" not that "it is" a highleg?
So it is just a standard 120/240 volt single phase system?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Usable.
Verify what you have. Always.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So it is just a standard 120/240 volt single phase system?
Your right, those readings didn't make sense, it is a 3ph. Has 3pole main breaker, my understanding is high leg is supposed to be on the center pole. That one was 120v to N the only phase conductor that had marking was the right side and was a red, center and left both unmarked black and a white stripe conductor went to the neutral bus. Did have 240V phase to phase at the HVAC. So it had to have a high leg correct?

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Hi leg did not always go to center. It is on the right at the meter and was on the right in panel for years. Red tape was the clue.
The two sites I care for with high leg are this way (C/right phase in panel).At one site, no red tape by original installer, though. It caught one electrician by surprise 30 years ago, luckily the only casualties were a couple of FL ballasts. After that, the high leg was ID'ed with red tape and I labeled the panels accordingly.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Also noticed they had some feed thru lugs that only fed from neutral, center and left phases, didn't open those or have any work in those. Curious, What would be the effect of that on the feeder panels? Would it read or opperate like a single phase panel 120/240? Seems to me it would. Didn't think much about it at the time but now wondering but making sense if the highleg was on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.