Is this an okay/good method to ground this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeleses

I'm installing a Levition Structured wiring enclosure for the first time. There are three things I want to ground in the enclosure. They are, the security fire home automation motherboard has a ground for surge protection, the cable TV splitter, and the Leviton cabinet itself.

Technically, I may not even need to ground the cable splitter, since Verizon VIOS enters the house 100% glass, there would be no way for a surge to enter, at least as far as I can figure. But since lightning can travel strange paths, and in case I ever get Comcast Cable service again, I figure it can't hurt to ground the splitter.

I've seen those clamps you can use to ground smaller gauge wires to a large gauge copper conductor (I think they use 8 gauge or 6 gauge to ground a service panel to the grounding rod or cold water pipe?). But what I think I want to do for the best ground is twist three #14 green ground wires together tightly, and stick all three into one of those grounding clamps that clamp directly to a 1/2 or 3/4" cold water pipe. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

Also, when dealing with an iron cold water pipe, does it matter if you use the silver color grounding clamp thats made out of steel or nickel, or the brass clamp?

Thank You,

Lee B.

mcclary's electrical

I'm installing a Levition Structured wiring enclosure for the first time. There are three things I want to ground in the enclosure. They are, the security fire home automation motherboard has a ground for surge protection, the cable TV splitter, and the Leviton cabinet itself.

Technically, I may not even need to ground the cable splitter, since Verizon VIOS enters the house 100% glass, there would be no way for a surge to enter, at least as far as I can figure. But since lightning can travel strange paths, and in case I ever get Comcast Cable service again, I figure it can't hurt to ground the splitter.

I've seen those clamps you can use to ground smaller gauge wires to a large gauge copper conductor (I think they use 8 gauge or 6 gauge to ground a service panel to the grounding rod or cold water pipe?). But what I think I want to do for the best ground is twist three #14 green ground wires together tightly, and stick all three into one of those grounding clamps that clamp directly to a 1/2 or 3/4" cold water pipe. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

Also, when dealing with an iron cold water pipe, does it matter if you use the silver color grounding clamp thats made out of steel or nickel, or the brass clamp?

Thank You,

Lee B.

First off, even though FIOS is glass, it still picks up noise. I've done two calls for 60 cycle hum in the phone lines because FIOS tech did not ground their box. Secondly, the bond lug is probably not rated for 3 wires. Third, you need the bronze if it's getting buried in concrete, if not the zinc will do.

Volta

You also want to 'ground' the coaxial cables so as to bond them together with the electrical system so there is minimal difference of voltage between the sheild and the chassis of the various equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.