Is this area considered hazardous area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Of course

Of course INs are not mandatory in the code. No question about that. I know the engineer can opt to use NFPA820 or not but I would definitely use that if I were the designer.
500.4 (A) only applies for a location already classified as a hazardous location. Because the room is not a hazardous location according to the engineer, he ignores that section.
I am not in a place to offer criticism of your engineer’s design. This is the basic reason I have attempted to only cite relevant Code language and applicable Standards. Beyond that, I claim no authority and, if your engineer is satisfied with the design, I will not challenge it.

kwired

Electron manager
The engineer insists that this room is not a hazardous location thanks to the powered exhausted fans and the gas detection system. I don't agree with that. Also to him, the informational note is for information only, not a mandatory section. Currently in the room, all the electrical equipment is designed as regular without any hazardous location awareness in mind.
Doesn't that put liability on him if he is wrong? Don't mean you can't question it or even get other engineer to give their opinion.

Also is no violation to use hazardous location methods even where there is no classification if you want to be on the safe side.

fandi

I am not in a place to offer criticism of your engineer’s design. This is the basic reason I have attempted to only cite relevant Code language and applicable Standards. Beyond that, I claim no authority and, if your engineer is satisfied with the design, I will not challenge it.
Thanks Bob. I understand. I just don't want the service person got killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.