Is this code????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Is this code????????????

I am not fond of the cord dangling over the top of the hot tank. But I cannot say for certain that there is a code violation. The article that comes to my attention is 422.16(A). It allows flexible cord to power an appliance in two circumstances. One relates to appliances that require frequent interchange. The other relates to appliances for which "the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection." I don't think a water heater meets either of these criteria. But I say "I cannot say for certain," because I have no way of knowing whether this specific water heater had been identified (by its manufacturer) for flexible cord connection. I really doubt it, but I have no fact to offer about that specific model.

dillon3c

U know,
I'm still poking around in my book..

But at this time,I'll direct you too..
NEC'05 422.16(a)(2)

and 422.16(b)(1)-though-(4)

*I just don't see your appliance listed..

(still-looking)* but doesn't appear to be in compliance..

dillon3c

OK.
Going to be hard on this installation,and take the punches afterwards..In combination w/ my first posting..I'm adding..this is fact a range/dryer cord..(plain to see)

422.43(b)& table 400.4
Trade name Range and Dryer cable
-Use-*Range and Dryers..
*don't see hot water heater list,as use with this cord..

*Busted..I stand..

dillon

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by fletcher:. . . the cord will "burn up" . . . it doesnt on stoves and dryers...does it????
You generally don't run the stove cord across the front burners, nor do you tape the dryer cord to the back of the dryer. Their cords are remote from the heat source. Your photo shows the cord running too close to the top of the water tank.

fletcher

charlie, the outside of the tank should never get hot. there is no hot exhaust at the top since it is electric. so why would the cord burn up?

i did not wire this so i really have no reason to defend it. a home inspector i know saw it and is looking for the right answer.

i think this is a new wrinkle in wiring and as the expected useful like of hw tanks keeps going down (cheaper and cheaper units)...a corded unit may be a good idea. but if it ain't code, it ain't code.

amptech

I don't see anything in 400.7 or 400.8 that specifically prohibits this installation. 400.8(1) wouldn't apply to this installation any more than it would to a microwave that is fastened in place but is cord connected above a range or a dishwasher that is fastened in place under a countertop but cord connected. Don't both of those installations pass? You could argue 400.7(6) as a reason to use this method around here if you don't have a water softener. A water heater only lasts about 9 months without one. I have heard of some jurisdictions that accept this wiring method as a means of disconnect for the water heater.

jwelectric

Originally posted by amptech:
I don't see anything in 400.7 or 400.8 that specifically prohibits this installation. 400.8(1) wouldn't apply to this installation any more than it would to a microwave that is fastened in place but is cord connected above a range or a dishwasher that is fastened in place under a countertop but cord connected. Don't both of those installations pass? You could argue 400.7(6) as a reason to use this method around here if you don't have a water softener. A water heater only lasts about 9 months without one. I have heard of some jurisdictions that accept this wiring method as a means of disconnect for the water heater.
After reading those section outlined in 400 then look at 422.16 then 422.31 through .33. All this added together puts the cord and plug connected plumbed in water heater to rest.
:)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

It comes down to the manufacturer of the water heater. If they have a cord as a "listed" connection method then it would be allowed under 400.7(8).

The fact that it is a "plumbed in" appliance is not material. There is a 120V cord connected water heater under my office sink right now. The cord was installed by the manufacturer.

[ August 31, 2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: jim dungar ]

dillon3c

Originally posted by jim dungar:
There is a 120V cord connected water heater under my office sink right now. The cord was installed by the manufacturer.
Mr. dungar,
Is it a range/dryer cord?

hurk27

I find that since the NEC mentions Water Heaters under the article for "Appliances" It seem's that they are indeed an "Appliance" And if that is fact then why wouldn't 422.33(A) apply?

ARTICLE 422 Appliances
422.11(F)(3) Water Heaters and Steam Boilers. Water heaters and steam boilers employing resistance-type immersion electric heating elements contained in an ASME-rated and stamped vessel or listed instantaneous water heaters shall be permitted to be subdivided into circuits not exceeding 120 amperes and protected at not more than 150 amperes.
Edited to add that even 220.32(C)(3) also includes water heaters as an appliance?

And again in 422.13 which is again under the article for "Appliances"

And this article also list ranges, dryers which are all allowed to be cord&plug connected or hard wired. :confused:

[ August 31, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

amptech

"After reading those section outlined in 400 then look at 422.16 then 422.31 through .33. All this added together puts the cord and plug connected plumbed in water heater to rest."
2005 NEC Art 422.16(A) "General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2)to facilitate the removal or DISCONNECTION of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection."
I would say that if it is plumbed in with unions the code compliance of a cord and plug installation would hinge soley on the wiring instructions of the specific water heater.

jwelectric

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair
now these next few words say it all

and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

pierre

There are two locations in Art 422 that mention water heater, so we can agree the water heater is an appliance. For disconnecting means of an appliance we turn to Part III of Art 422.
422.30 requires each appliance to have a disconnecting means.

The water heater is plumbed in, making it a permanent appliance, hence 422.31(B).
It would seem that the circuit breaker is not within sight, so a means of disconnect is required. As has been mentioned, 400.8(1) does not permit cords as a permanent means of wiring (even though cord and plug connections in certain circumstances are permitted as a disconnecting means).

In conclusion as seen in the photo, this would not be a permitted means - unless the installation instructions do permit it.

mdshunk

Regardless of whether this is technically permitted or not, that's surely the wrong cord and receptacle. That is a 3-wire 30 amp dryer cordset. They are a 125/250 volt ungrounded configuration and NOT the 250 volt grounded configuration that would be necessary to connect the water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.