Is this code????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Re: Is this code????????????

Back when i started in 82 this was how they all were done in Naples.Had you direct wired them they would fail you.And there were boxes with time clocks that used this 30 amp cord and plug set up.You pluged box into receptacle and water heater into receptacle on the timer.Looking at it now i too have a problem with the use of a 3 prong dryer cord.They had 2 hots and a neutral not a ground,but we always used that nuetral terminal for the bare ground from 10-2 guess we violated this code for several years :eek: :eek:
As to any danger of shock or fire i see none.I think one of the reasons this was done is so the electrician could get a final before the plumber was there with the water heater.Also helped to prevent a dry fire if the heater did not have water yet.Where wells are common sometimes the tanks are empty till owner turns on power.

amptech

"now these next few words say it all

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection."

I believe I covered that in my post when I said it would depend on the wiring instructions of the specific water heater.

jwelectric

Originally posted by amptech:
"now these next few words say it all

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection."

I believe I covered that in my post when I said it would depend on the wiring instructions of the specific water heater.
Ain?t I wonderful when two GREAT minds work together? :) :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

It's interesting to me that whenever a discussion like this occurs, 400.7 and 400.8 never provide a clear answer for the problem. Never.

They need revision. Again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.