Is this even legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have to confess my old eyes just can?t focus that well on the photo; but, unless there is something else I can't see, if the receptacle (not necessarily the seal) is 18? or more above the pavement there is no Art 501 issue. The seal may be on either side of the boundary and the receptacle can sit on the boundary (you gotta draw the line somewhere)

wbalsam1

Yep, in my neck of the woods we still us the 02 code.....
that receptacle appears to be less than 10' from the pump....

We (New York) still use the 2002 for 1&2 Family Dwellings, but the 2005 for all else.
The Class 1 Division 2 zone is envisioned by me as something like this: a zone encompassing an area of 18" on top and on the sides of the exterior portion of the gas dispensing device all the way down to within 18" of the ground and extending outward at a height of 18" and a length of 20 feet in all directions. Since the receptacle is located above this 18" space, it is not within the space and therefore Class 1 Division 2 rules do not apply.
In your 2002 NEC take a look at Figure 514.3 on page 70-388 and look at the top drawing and notice the lightly shaded areas around the gas dispenser. I believe the receptacle in the picture in this post is above the 18" zone. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.