Is this panel legal? (2 sets of breakers on each side)

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've seen a Square D 400 amp QO panels where that has been accomplished by altering the dead front
(The buss has dual stabs allowing the back to back breakers)
I don't know if there was ever a factory dead front (not altered) that allowed that

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That panel was highly modified. Look closely at the entire middle piece, especially at the bottom.

Reactions: ASG

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It looks like someone gutted an I-line can and mounted two QO loadcenters inside. Those are definitely not NQ panels.

Edit…. I’m not so sure that even started out as an I-line. That might be an ITE door. At some point it had one of those funky spring loaded locking mechanisms on it and I don’t recall seeing that on any SqD door. I think old CH panelboards pre-Eaton had them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Who knows,,, maybe someone mounted (2) 3ph interiors inside that large enclosure.
and stopped on the breaker fill on the right side up because it was too close to the left side to turn the wiring in.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It does look like there are (2) of the (4) instructional notes missing,,,, (1) Turn the power off and (4) Turn the power on.

It should read:

(1) Turn the Power Off
(2) Replace Breaker
(3) Close Door !!
(4) Turn the Power on.

JAP>

• Haha
Reactions: ASG

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It looks identical to a 400 amp QO panel I installed in 1980s
I found it interesting then that the buss would allow back-to-back but the cover would not.
Of course I think back then there was a 42 circuit limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.