is this right or wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

76nemo said:
Flukes T+ does not have high impedance input.
They play cute by only limiting thier ohms scale to 400 ohms the it reads ol out of limits so you cant use it as a dvm and have to buy a second meter to read ohms. I think they could do better.

76nemo

quogueelectric said:
They play cute by only limiting thier ohms scale to 400 ohms the it reads ol out of limits so you cant use it as a dvm and have to buy a second meter to read ohms. I think they could do better.

I agree q., but with a low-Z input, phase rotation indication, an LCD readout, GFCI testing, LED light, and a CATIII rating for 600V's, it's very hard to complain. What I have always said about the T+ that I didn't like was the vibration indication. When I am working on a large enough service, the last thing I want is some meter/tester vibrating in my hand. The vibration is not switchable.

Hey, for $85, it's not a bad deal;)

crossman

quogueelectric said:
if you ground the neutral in two different locations you definitely have a ground loop. It is in fact the definition of a ground loop. The neutral should only be bonded at 1 point or else you have a ground loop.

Here is a diagram of where the double bonding would be allowed.

2008 NEC 250.30(A)(1) Ex 2 allows two SBJs where no parallel path is created

2008 NEC 250.142(A)(3) allows the grounded conductor to be used to bond/ground equipment, in other words, the grounded conductor functions as both the neutral and the equipment grounding conductor in this instance.

0011.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Carl I have been thinking on this and in your diagram I think we will have a parallel path through the un-shown EGCs in most cases. (Steel building, the GEC required by 250.30(A)(3) etc.)

I was thinking an application of this rule would be a facility that distributes power at high voltage around their property and then has pad mounts at each service.

Typically you would bond at the pad mount and at the feeder entrance disconnect.

crossman

Bob, I assume you are addressing me. I don't see where any EGCs are causing parallel paths. This is an all wood structure.... no building steel, no water pipe, only a driven ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.