IS Valve Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLFlex

Hello all,
I've been using the forum for a while now, but have not had the need until today to ask a question. We're using intrinsically safe valves on a piece of equipment and my concern is the wiring. The valve comes with an amp connector with two loose conductors, see attached picture. The picture shows two versions of the valve one with a molded connector and one with the amp connector. It also shows the two loose conductors. Is this acceptable per NEC to have IS conductors outside of conduit or an enclosure? We plan to run these conductors a short distance (8" or so) to a junction box. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IS Valve.JPG
    IS Valve.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 0

Smart $

Esteemed Member
IDK for certain, but I believe most would consider exposed single conductors as non-compliant. IS wiring methods are given a very wide latitude. That said, IDK of any specific restriction. At the very least, I'd put some split-loom tubing over the leads... or perhaps a section of LFNMC (but this would compromise insertion and removal of the connector).

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
With a few caveats, the basic purpose of intrinsically safe wiring it to permit any wiring method that is acceptable for unclassified locations. See Section 504.20. The major items of concern beyond unclassified location wiring is sealing [Section 504.70] and separation [Section 504.30]. While it isn't directly mentioned in Section 501.20, grounding/bonding can also be an issue. [Sections 504.50 and 60]

Separation may require enclosing in a raceway, but not necessarily. Read Section 504.30 carefully.

JLFlex

Okay, Thanks! There are nine of these valves mounted next to each other so 504.30 (B) is definitely applicable. I will review article 504. Thanks also for the shrink tube idea, good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.