Island recpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use the carlon blue pastic shallow box.
I hope you don't mean the 8cu.in. box with the little triangular KO's. I don't believe they're approved for electrical devices. Besides, a single 12-2 and a receptacle require 10 cu.in.

Often there's enough room for a standard-depth box behind the drawer, even when it's pushed all the way in, or, if the drawer isn't too tall, you can mount the box just below it.

For another option, take a look at this Carlon box:

newbox.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This one is 2" deep and 17 cu in.

9490079.jpg

Tell the cabinet guys what needs to be done and work out a solution. Very rarely do I not find a legal option.

I like this box, kinda big but maybe it will work. I'll check into this one....
I see Scott beat me to it. Oh, well. One thing I like about this box is that the flat half pops off for easier wiring before you install it. I don't know if it's supposed to, but it does.

I usually make up the complete assembly when I use old work boxes. I connect the device wires and mount the device in the box before I put the box in the wall, especially with crumbly drywall.

gotmud

I hope you don't mean the 8cu.in. box with the little triangular KO's. I don't believe they're approved for electrical devices. Besides, a single 12-2 and a receptacle require 10 cu.in.

Often there's enough room for a standard-depth box behind the drawer, even when it's pushed all the way in, or, if the drawer isn't too tall, you can mount the box just below it.

For another option, take a look at this Carlon box:

newbox.jpg
Ok what am I doing wrong here on calculation---12-2 nm + device......2 conductors + ground + device= 2+1+2 x 2.25=11.25 cu.in + the strap thingy in the metal box (per inspector) +1 x 2.25= total 13.5 cu.in.

Status
Not open for further replies.